P4 Chip returns from the dead (or so it seems)!

OU812 01:15 07 May 04

I had been out for a couple of hours eariler this evening.

My PC had been left on and had gone into standby by the time I returned (its set to do so after one hour).

Anyway it wouldn't resume from standby and a reboot did'nt help either.

The PSU and motherboard where clearly working but the proccessor (a P4 2.53) appeared dead.

The symtoms where the same as what happend to me last year (except at that time the PC was under warrenty and I got a replacement chip).

Anyway I opened the case up removed the heatsink and P4 chip, cleaned them both and reapplied thermal paste to the chip, put everything back together, crossed my fingers, pressed the on button and my PC started as normal.

While I am pleased my PC is apparently back to normal I am somewhat perturbed as to why this has happend in the first place. Since I use my PC for both work (and play) downtime could have caused me a few problems.

If anyone has any ideas as to why this might have happend I would be glad to hear them.

GaT7 18:10 09 May 04

[Found you at the bottom of the 10th page, so hopefully this will get you up the list & an answer. Good luck, G]

ste_bla 18:51 09 May 04

dont worry be happy!

expertec 18:57 09 May 04

I would worry, I don't think i'd like my CPU randomly dying like that ;-(

Colin 20:23 09 May 04

I had the same problem with exactly the same CPU. I had to switch it off at the wall plug, then back on. I have now disabled all power saving features and it hasn't returned. I use the screen saver function where it asks for a password on resume for security. I realise that that isn't the proper solution, but if I want to go out for a while but need to leave the PC on, I switch the monitor off, which I understand is the biggest power draw.

alnwrd 20:25 09 May 04

CPU's are very sensitive to heat. Is your case large enough , do you have a case fan? Is it working? You can fit more than one fan to the case.

rickimalone 20:53 09 May 04

Was the heat sink or CPU dusty??? if so cleaning may have allowed it to disperse more haet away from it ......

OU812 21:28 09 May 04

Thanks for the response it seems they come like buses, in response to a couple of points raised:

(1) The CPU wasn't dusty but some of the thermal paste used was a little displaced.
(2) I have a well ventilated case (an Evercase Giga as reviewed at Silent PC Review)with fans fore and aft and for good measure one over the graphics card. As an aside fan noise isn't a problem since the base unit is in another room connected to my Monitor etc by 10M cable runs - best thing I have ever done with respect to my PC!
(3) I haven't had any resume from standby problems like this previously and my system has run stably even when subjected to the rigors of FPS games. Office work of course hardly touches it.

Having had time to reflect I think it is possible that the CPU had become slightly unseated since I have had the case open a few times recently or that lack of thermal paste (as noted above) had caused an overheat or possibly a combination of the two.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…