P4 2.66 Stock Cooler Fan Control

cosi 14:21 13 May 04

In searching for info about the HSF on my P4, I came to the conclusion that it runs at around 3000rpm @12v. Along the way I read all about the variable speed control that comes with the P4, based on "internal chassis temp" which I am assuming will be equivalent to the ambient air temp around the the inlet to the HSF.

I am running at 30-ish & my fan speed is around 2300rpm (ergo 9v?). From the CPU temps I get with the way I use my PC, I reckon I can afford to slow down the fan & so quieten it.

My thinking is if I do something between the end of the HSF lead & the mobo connector, as far as the P4 is concerned, the Intel speed/temp algorithmm will work the same just at different voltage levels.

My questions to the more knowledgeable out there are:
*does the 2300rpm sound right? I would have expected it to be dropped lower, but the Intel site only tells you the change temperatures & not speeds. Only says "min" & "max" !?
* is my logic about slowing down the fan right ? * if so, how best should I do this ?

{other system info: ASUS P4T533 mobo, Q-Fan disabled}

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…