P3 motherboard

C_N 14:08 14 Jul 04

I have acquired a pentium 3 600Mhz, currently my computer contains a Celeron 366Mhz. Obviously I want to put in my Pentium 3 but when I do and turn on my machine it says Pentium II 450Mhz and will not respond. I figure this is because my bios is too old to recognise the newer P3 but how do I do that? I know I can't just download one. Can you change the chip? If thats a bad idea can I get a new motherboard that still uses PC100 RAM and will accept the kind of processor that stands up at 90 degrees to the board but recognises P3 600Mhz? What kind of year am I looking at for a board that will recognise a P3 600Mhz? Thanks.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 14:22 14 Jul 04

first port of call grab a copy of belarc or aida

Belarc click here
Aida click here

This should tell you what mobo you have then go to the manufacturers website you can download the
manual which should tell you max processsor size and may also have bios flashing utilities
be warned if you do have to flash the bios this can be risky read instructions follow to the letter because one mistake could be curtains for your bios

C_N 14:27 14 Jul 04

Hey thanks Zaphod, just what I was after.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…