p2p security

dogbreath1 13:53 19 Mar 05

For a review of the dangers:- click here

P2p users guide to securing your p.c.

"There are some risks when you share files on your HD but these can be minimised.

To make the risk to your computer as small as possible there are a number of steps you can take, I will relate mine:

1) Limewire defaults to sharing "C:\Program Files\Limewire\Shared", I decided to buy an external HD and have my shared folder on there. That way it is extremely difficult for a rogue program, virus, spyware or whatever, to do any damage.

2) Always run your anti-virus and anti-spyware apps as frequently as you can, I would suggest daily.

3) Make sure that your Firewall stealths all ports, and test it at Shields Up to insure that it is working as expected.

4) Install Prevx Home V2, this sits behind your firewall and stops anything that is secretly trying to install itself on your PC.

5) Always run PeerGuardian 2 when running Limewire or any other P2P software, you will be surprised by the number and types of organisations trying to sneak into your PC via port 6346.

6) And finally, a bit of common sense goes a long way, e.g. don't download anything from untrustworthy sites, keep away from WMA and WMV files, make sure that your protection software and security updates for your OS are all up to date.

The internet can be very dangerous and hazardous to your PCs health, P2P networks can sometimes bring that danger closer to you than you would like. But as long as you take the necessary precautions then there is no reason why you should be scared of sharing."

For PeerGuardian 2 click here

For Prevx Home v2 click here

Forum Editor 13:57 19 Mar 05

provided that the files you download and share are legal.

dogbreath1 13:58 19 Mar 05

Agreed

dogbreath1 14:01 19 Mar 05

Crikey, you're quicker than VoG™ , I don't suppose you are VoG™ are you??

VoG II 14:07 19 Mar 05

Definitely not!

I know a bit about Excel and the FE knows about everything else ;o)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:55 19 Mar 05

1) no it is not. A computer can easily be accessed from ANY shared folder either on the HD or on an external HD. Your computer can access your external HD ergo the external can access the computer.

2) Makes little difference as you have given permission for the programme to enter your computer. This is how many worms and Trojans get past ;-))

3) no point, you have given permissions, see #2. Why use another port when one is already open and willing to let you in :-))

4) see #2

5) see #3

6) you do not have a clue what you are downloading until you download it so there is no way of telling if it is 'trustworthy'.

G

dogbreath1 18:47 19 Mar 05

The permissions to which you refer allow the download onto a persons hard drive of a target file. I understand that any malicious executable code contained therein will not execute until the file is opened. Should that file be scanned for viruses/malware prior to opening, then this would alleviate the danger. On a pragmatic note, either I am extraordinarily fortunate (together with dozens of people with whom I have frequent contact within the p2p file sharing community), or the security regime which we all employ is working very effectively indeed. Additionally, having scanned xxxx downloaded files over many many months I must conclude that the incidence of nasties within shared files is infinitesimally small. The use of applications such as SpywareBlaster and Prevx (amongst others) actively prevent the installation of many malicious code... so there is protection beyond the initial scans should something slip the net. As I have said in the past, p2p cannot totally be without risk... but the evidence seems to suggest that the risk is very low if appropriate procedure is followed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…