P2P Network - Wee Problems

The Paul 22:06 21 Oct 03

Hi folks - I have spent all day researching this problem including our search facility on this site. I cannot find anything that helps me sort out my problem. This is my first venture into networking so please help - but slowly.

I have XP Pro on desktop and ME on Laptop. Desktop has SiS 900 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and Laptop has Xircom Ethernet 10/100 card. I've coupled the two with a CrossOver cable set up and run the Newtwork Wizard thing on both systems. After each Wizard run I got message saying set up had been successful.

I can get access to the internet on the laptop via the desktop but I cannot see anything else. When I click on "view workgroup computers" I get the following message - "Home (name of network) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

I am an administrator as far as the login screen goes at boot up. Any suggestions - PLEASE! Paul

LastChip 22:17 21 Oct 03

Open Control Panel and Open the Administration Icon.

Now look for "Users" in the left hand part of the window and open it up. In the right hand part of the Window, you will see "Guest" (I suspect) disabled. Right Click it to open up to Properties, and enable "Everyone".

Hopefully, that may solve your problem.

Chegs ® 22:28 21 Oct 03

Also,try enabling "Sharing" (right click file/folder/partition and select "Sharing and Security" and tick the boxes/or "If you understand the...." message)to enable Users/Admin sharing(cannot remember the exact wording of these)If you have got net access,then once you have enabled sharing,the shared files will show in Network.

The Paul 22:28 21 Oct 03

The Administration Ico didnt have what you suggested - I found something similar in Users and enabled it there. Still no joy. Does the fact that my laptop doesnt require a user sign on create a problem?

The Paul 22:33 21 Oct 03

Hi Chegs ®. I have enable sharing as you suggested. It didnt have any problems with my user status.

In Win Expl I can see the network in the "My Network Places" "Microsoft Windows Network" and then the "Home" network is shown there. When I D/click on it I get the access message barring me.

LastChip 22:35 21 Oct 03

The sequence is, Administrative Tools; Computer Management; and then look for something like Users and Groups, then the Users file. Remember when you alter something like this, you have to "Apply" and "OK" the selection.

Chegs ® point is a good one. Make sure you have at least one file or drive enabled to share, otherwise, the other machine has nothing to look for.

The Paul 22:45 21 Oct 03

Will do as you say and log off and back on again.

The Paul 21:12 22 Oct 03

I did log off and then couldnt get back to the PCA site again????

I did all as suggested above and still cannot see the PC's in my network. To be honest, I may be doing something very basically wrong here and wouldnt know it.

When I D/click on the Network Icon in the Sys Tray, I get a window which says its connected. If I unplug the Xover cable I get a message saying "unplugged". I can access the web using the laptop via the desktop. BUT - when I click on the My Network Places and View Work Group Computers I get nothing or the Access message mentioned above. I have given permission for the entire C drive to be accessed.

I just dont know what I'm doing which doesnt exactly help matters at all.

The Paul 22:14 22 Oct 03

Chegs ® 00:00 23 Oct 03

I had major hassles setting up my networked puters,but I took a couple of days "off" from running up and downstairs,reset/reloaded all drivers/IP's/cfg,etc and then I had "1" last go,and it refused to co-operate! Left stewing over its refusal,I perused the various threads on networking(including mine and Tazfans...we were "racing" each other:-) to setup our net(not)working)and lo & behold,mine started working! I could swap files thru the connection,but my joy was shortlived.Rebooted a few days later,and the chuffin' network had quit.It quit every few days,requiring reinstall every few days! I updated the NIC drivers,and it started to behave,it has been active and working for 18mths now(touches wood)without any further trouble.Even after a complete reinstall and upgraded hardware(new mobo/hdd's,RAM/OS,etc)it carries on.When you get it going(I know you WILL)you will be able to reinstall/setup your puters in a few mins,practise DOES make perfect....lol

LastChip 00:15 23 Oct 03

Looks like the site went down for about 10 hours!

Anyway, lets start from the beginning.

The basics of all networks are as follows;

Each computer must have the SAME Workgroup name, probably defaulted to Workgroup just to confuse the issue!

Each computer must have its OWN INDIVIDUAL identification name.

Each computer must have at least one file or drive configured to share.

Each computer must have File and Printer sharing enabled.

Please use this as a check list, and make sure all these conditions are in place on both machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…