p2p

jtw 11:52 31 Jan 05

I would appreciate some advice on sites like edonkey and limewire. My teenage son has downloaded and is using filesharing sites (obviously with illegal intent). How easy is it to get attacked by viruses, worms etc from these sites? We have the standard protection of avg, zonealarm, spybot.

ACOLYTE 12:01 31 Jan 05

It is not that easy,thats not to say imposable
the more files you download the more chance you have of getting a virus,if you can stay on top of the downloads and scan them after download you may be OK.

mattyc_92 12:08 31 Jan 05

When you download a file, a port is open and "hackers" will use this to their advantage... The bigger the file, the larger the risk...

Also, downloading something with a P2P program doesn't mean that the file is "safe" to use... You may get some sort of illegal document that wasn't labelled correctly or the files you download may be a virus or some sort of tool for a "hacker" to "see" your computer when it is at it's weakest...

Personally, I don't use P2P programs anyone... I used to for downloading service packs for operating systems and the upgrades like the plugins for Infranview when I couldn't access their website to download it from there... (Didn't download anything illegally)

When I removed the program, my system ran faster and that was when I noticed all the corrupt security keys in the registry, so I formatted the system and never got these problems again, so it must of been some of the free ultities had some "extra" content to them that damaged the system....

I don't think that my problem was/very commom though, so don't think that you WILL get the problems I got, 'cause some people's system is fine with P2P programs (perhaps they are lucky or haven't noticed the problems yet)

Noelg23 12:09 31 Jan 05

since you have the correct protection software then you should be ok...just like ACOLYTE says you just do a check after.

mattyc_92 12:09 31 Jan 05

I agree with ACOLYTE, it isn't very easy but it does happen and downloading large files will give them more of a chance to damage your system...

ACOLYTE 15:12 02 Feb 05

Whats the verdict,lol?

Djohn 15:27 02 Feb 05

"My teenage son has downloaded and is using filesharing sites (obviously with illegal intent)."

Although P2P applications are legal and are used for the transfer of legal content, your son is downloading illegal material.

My advice would be to remove the application from the PC completely, other than that the forum rules restrict us from giving any advice or help with illegal use of P2P sites.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 15:57 02 Feb 05

i have used them for last 2 years in that time i have downloaded the odd trojan and spyware,
but not once has it been anything that either AVG free, spyboy S&D, ADAWARE se, or spysweeper has not been able to remove, if you are cautious in my experience [and i use many many p2p sites evry day]you will be fine.

CD

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 16:00 02 Feb 05

p.s. just because one uses p2p, it does not have to always be for "illegal intent".

jtw 17:17 02 Feb 05

The intent was illegal obviously i am a law abiding citizen and would not condone this at all .
(Beam me up)

ACOLYTE 17:23 02 Feb 05

The point is you asked how easy it was to get a virus,i think that has been answered,the option to use P2P is left to you and your son,every time P2P is mentioned there legality of it crops up i think to often, it shouldnt be our place to judge peoples intent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…