overwritten windows

emptyhand 21:55 02 Apr 08

Perhaps foolishly, I have installed a new version of xp professional over the previous version. all my old files etc have disappeared. is there any way of getting them back?

DieSse 22:07 02 Apr 08

I you mean you've done a fresh install, rather than repair install - then probably not.

Did you reformat - if so then definitely not.

Have you looked at the contents of your drive, to see if any of the old contents are showing?

I presume you have no backup, from what you've said - then make this an object lesson that possibly the most important first task with the new installation is to set up a proper routine for backing up.

Jim_F 23:43 02 Apr 08

If you didn't format its possible that XP was well behaved and saved your documents but these will be 'owned' by a different identity than the one you set up even if you used the same user name (for security).

By default XP stores documents in:
C:\Documents and Settings\ user name \My Documents

If you see additional directories there then you could be in luck (unless you used file encryption) but may need to take ownership of the files before you can move them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…