overwrite illegal copy of xp for legal. how?

second best 16:23 04 Mar 04

hi, i bought a new system recently, well, new to me anyway. got a good deal on an amd 3200 chip and a few other things for a reallt good price. anyway, to make sure it was ok, they! , installed a copy of xp pro on my machine, which i now want to change for the original copy i have cause i can't dload the updates. i have a load of programms on the system drive that i would rather keep on if i can. can this be done. install over the top, without losing my programms?

Sir Radfordin 16:56 04 Mar 04

Any of these help?

click here=

AndySD 17:02 04 Mar 04

You could try doing a repair installation.

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP.

Will 17:24 04 Mar 04

I can't even get as far as the windows offering me the repair facility! Windows will not load because of a corrupt sys file. Will I be able to access the hard drive if I take it out and make it a slave on another system with XP?

AndySD 17:35 04 Mar 04

Yes with the hard drive.

But check the cd is not dusty first.

Can you boot into safe mode and try

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and close the box that opens.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…