Overweight Windows?

johndrew 14:19 22 Feb 06

I have been looking at recovering some space on the hdd that carries XP Pro and find the Windows file is 4.95GB with 15,124 files and 1,283 folders. This sounds a bit large to me and I was wondering if there is any way of checking to see why it is so large and reducing its size if possible.

Any suggestions please?

peter t. 14:40 22 Feb 06

Have you checked to see if Windows/Temp files are causing the prob ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:56 22 Feb 06

click here Download, run and delete all it finds. Go to C>windows>prefetch and delete all the files in there. You can also delete all the 'uninstall' files for the windows updates which will recover a lot of space. Turn off system restore and then turn back on again. This can save up to 9Gbs (bearing in min that all your restore points will be lost apart from the new one).

mattyc_92 17:06 22 Feb 06

Does sound abit big, but it depends on the programs you have installed on your computer

Best to follow the CCleaner route as GANDALF <|:-)> has suggested

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:32 22 Feb 06

Certainly deleting the prefetch files will release space, but I thought doing this adversely affected performance? (ie increased application loading times)
I seem to recall reading a criticism of the latest CCleaner release because it's default settings deleted prefetch files.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:14 22 Feb 06

Prefetch files are an absolute nonsense. Delete them and I will guarantee that a mortal will not notice any benefit.

G

johndrew 14:07 23 Feb 06

especially GANDALF <|:-)>. That utility is awesome.

Wish I could lose weight that fast!!! I reduced from the 4.95GB to 2.85GB instantly and haven`t yet touched my System Restore - I shall keep that for a couple of days just in case.

Thanks again for all your help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:28 23 Feb 06

A defrag might be in order after your cleaning and you could also use regscrubxp to clear up old registry entries It will probably not save too much space but it can speed up the computer. click here

G

Jackcoms 18:53 24 Feb 06

And whilst System Restore is turned OFF do full AV and anti-malware scans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now