Overtype mode in E-Mail writing?

dave h 12:13 05 Jan 04

Sometimes when I am typing an E-Mail (in IE6) and I have to go back and correct a typo (mistake) the program acts as if 'Overtype' mode is set to 'On' (that is when I try to insert text, it overtypes what is already on the screen.)

This does not happen every time, but it happens more often than not.

As far as I know there is no 'Overtype' setting in IE6 as there is in 'Word'.

Has anyone any thoughts on this??

Thanx in advance.

Big Elf 12:15 05 Jan 04

Maybe you're accidentally hitting the 'Insert' key?

dave h 12:18 05 Jan 04

Big Elf,

Nope, that's not the case, but thanks.

dave h 12:26 05 Jan 04

Big Elf,

Have thought some more, I gave you suggestion a try, and it appears to work......

However, I rarely (if ever) use the 'Insert' key, so how does it get switched 'On' or 'Off'?

I'll try your tip the next time I'm writing an E-Mail and have the problem, thanks.

Big Elf 12:29 05 Jan 04

I do it a lot, usually when I hit the backspace key.

beeuuem 14:10 05 Jan 04

I've also had this problem- overtyping- in OE and never known why - until now :-) Surprising what you can learn just by browsing the threads.

Thank you Big Elf

dave h 15:02 05 Jan 04

xBig Elf

Yes, you're probably right. It's also close to the 'Delete' key.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some way to disable keys such as this and also the 'Caps Lock' key:-)

I feel it would be more sensible to make both keys only accesible by a 'multi-key' press, such as 'Ctrl-Alt -Caps Lock' for example.

After all, the caps lock key is a relic of the Typewriter, where it was a useful key, but on a computer (being easy to hit buy mistake) it's usually a pain in the BUM!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…