Overloaded PSU ?

freaky 18:20 21 Aug 05

A couple of days ago I replaced the DVD Rom Drive in my old computer with a new LG Super Multi R/RW.

Occasionally on booting-up from cold, there is a fairly loud click, then the PC shuts down. The only way I can restart is by shutting off the mains power at the plug, then another click is heard from the PC.....I then turn the power back on and it reboots OK.

I suspect that the new DVD Drive is drawing more amperage, and causes the PSU to overload and trip out. Apart from replacing the PSU with a higher capacity unit, have members got any other suggestions please?

Completealias 18:39 21 Aug 05

If you have more than 1 optical drive you could disconnect that from the system and just use the dvd writer but thats only a workaround and you'd be better off buying a new PSU

bremner 19:10 21 Aug 05

It is extremely unlikely that the new drive is drawning sufficiently more power than the previous one.

It is much more likely that the PSU has simply chosen this moment to give up the ghost.

Either way a new PSU seems to be the ordser of the day.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:13 21 Aug 05

That kind of behaviour does strongly suggest an expiring PSU.

freaky 20:32 21 Aug 05

Strange this, the PC in question is a 1.6mghz Athlon and is about 4 years old. Never had a problem as described in my post until I fitted this LG Drive. I did notice on the label of the LG that the amperage was higher than the removed DVD ROM Drive.

Is it a difficult to replace a PSU ?

Stuartli 20:49 21 Aug 05

It's not difficult to replace a PSU but, frankly, a rewriter is not going to demand very much of a PSU in any case. A Pioneer 108, for instance, uses less than a watt at 8x DVD burning. See:

click here

You say it is an old computer. I replaced the PSU in my six-year-old midi case a few weeks ago because a replacement graphics card, according to the manual, required a 300w PSU and preferably 350w.

When I took the original PSU out (it came with the £26 case) it unexpectedly proved to be an Enermax, one of the better makes.

Even more unexpectedly it turned out to be a 100w PSU and not the 200 or 230w I had thought....:-)

Even so it was delivering the goods without problems even when having to use the new graphics card for a few days. There's now a 500w PSU in situ.

Completealias 20:52 21 Aug 05

Not at all I only did it last week, its just a case of open up the case unplug all the exsiting power supplys to the drives and motherboard and then remove the power supply. Fit the new one and then plug everything back in again.

Yes I think that the new dvd writer will draw more power than a dvd rom and therefore was probably
"the straw that broke the camels back"

Stuartli 23:44 21 Aug 05

Here's an excellent guide to the ins and outs of PSUs:

click here

freaky 09:21 22 Aug 05

Many thanks for the link.

freaky 19:53 22 Aug 05

This particular computer, was made for me in October 2001 and uses a Midi Tower Case fitted with a 300w PSU. I also have a new Mesh Matrix which has a high specification, and has a 350W PSU. So I would have thought that the 300w would have coped!

Anyway, after reading the Link kindly supplied by Stuarti.....and the dreadful things that can happen to a PC with a dodgy PSU. I bought a new 350w unit today that includes Auto Smart Fan control and built-in temp' sensor....may make it run a little quieter! I just have to pick up courage and install it.

Stuartli 20:02 22 Aug 05

It's pretty straightforward. Make sure you keep the retaining plate for the replacement PSU (if your case uses such a plate), particularly note the use of fans connections and Bob's your Uncle as they say.

Took about 10-15 minutes overall to replace mine recently, plus a little time ensuring maximum air flow as the new PSU was slightly longer and the emerging cables set blocked the interior air flow if not adjusted properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…