Is this overkill (spyware utilities)

daisy2bell 09:56 28 Mar 07

I have the following on my computer, and wanted your thoughts on weather this is overkill.
What would you say is the ideal setup.

a squared, AdAware, AVG Antispyware, Ccleaner, Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot, Spyware Terminator.
Also I have AVG free (antivirus) and McAfee firwall, plus the routers firewall.

johndrew 10:25 28 Mar 07

No, it`s not overkill in my opinion. I run the same as you less Spyware Terminator for malware and my firewall is Kerio.

You should note that Ccleaner is not anti-malware it is a registry cleaner only.

If you want more confidence on what you have look at the next to last post from POADB in this thread click here

Belatucadrus 11:00 28 Mar 07

It's a matter of opinion, but I on the other hand do think seven anti spyware products on top of AV and two firewalls is overkill.
I make do with :-
avast!, anti virus.
Kerio, Firewall.
Spware Terminator, Real time spyware protection & scan.
Spyware Blaster, Spyware blocker.
SuperAntispywarefree, for occasional double checks.

I also use Ccleaner, but don't count it as security, unless you class dumping cache and cookies in a maintenance routine as a security feature.

i dont know wether it's overkill, personnaly having all those programs running, updates etc would drive me mad, Imho i firewall, 1 av 1/2 antispyware is more than enough. depends what the pc does i suppose

Stuartli 11:07 28 Mar 07

I wouldn't term CCCleaner as "just a Registry cleaner"...:-)

Two firewalls is OK if you use, say ZoneAlarm, and also have a modem router with a firewall enabled.

I've just ditched AVG AntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator after trying them out and retained SpywareBlaster, Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware 1.6SE, adding SUPERAntiSpyware to the mix.

Avast! is used as the anti-virus utility - very effective and automatically updates itself.

RobCharles1981 11:12 28 Mar 07

Im using

Avast
Comodo Firewall

Spywareterminator
Spywareblaster

Spybot
Adaware
ASquared
SuperAntispyare

Fingees 11:21 28 Mar 07

Just a point.

Only use one antivirus ,as they tend to interact, and cause problems.

I use AVG antivirus (free)

AdAware) (Free)

CCleaner. It actually cleans out all unnecessary bits and pieces, not just a registry cleaner.

For fiirewall I use the new Microsoft incorporated in Vista, I used Zone alarm when I had XP.

bretsky 11:39 28 Mar 07

My combo is

NOD32 A/V 2.7
Zone Alarm firewall v6.5.737.000(free ed)
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
a2 squared free ed
AVG 7.5 Anti-spyware-full version
Winpatrol plus version
CCleaner
Advanced Task Manager-full version

bretsky ;0)

Technotiger 11:57 28 Mar 07

Hi, one or two of you there in over-kill IMHO ...
I use AVG Free, AdAware SE Pers Free, Kerio Pers Firewall Pro and have a Hardware firewall in Router.
I did say on a thread recently that I had never had a virus of any sort, but thinking about it afterwards, that was not strictly true - I did have one virus about four years ago, but other than that I can say quite honestly that I have never had any security/virus problems. Plus a little bit of common sense i.e. not opening strange emails or attachments, or strange links in emails, has kept my system nice and clean - along with the normal routine disk cleanup maintenance.

daisy2bell 12:23 28 Mar 07

Thanks guys for your response. I'll just sit tight for more replys and then it is decision time.
Could running what I have, actualy slow down the machine?

Belatucadrus 12:50 28 Mar 07

The only ones that are likely to have any impact on the PC are the ones with a real time cover component :- Defender, Spyware Terminator, Spybot ( If you have the teatimer on ), AVG & the McAfee firewall. The others are passive programs that only do anything to load the system when scanning. Generally they just sit on your C drive doing nothing. SpywareBlaster sets passive killbits to block spyware, so while not active if properly enabled it's still done its thing.

This generally applies to the free versions, I know the paid for versions like AVG Antispyware offer a bit more and they may add live components to the RAM requirement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now