Overheating-Seagate Hard Drive

Kingmob05 13:13 17 Oct 05

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all those who helped with my drive whirring noises.

I've been using the HDDLife program and recently it gave me an overheating warning, quoting 46 degrees.

I have a Seagate drive (sorry, don't know the model offhand- I'm at work and a bit worried) and the computer was running the Ephpod program, updating my iPod with new songs.

I don't know whether this is a worrying temperature considering nothing else was running at the time, and I don't want to trust a program that was a free download. I just wanted to know if any Seagate owners or anyone who might know could help.

Is this temperature a concern, especially when my drive makes a whirring noise on start-up; almost as if a fan was having trouble starting up.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry about this being another overheating query.

Kingmob05 13:41 17 Oct 05

I wanted to add that I haven't had any problems in terms of systems errors since these noises etc occurred.

When I received the overheating warning though, everything was slow. Not sure if this helps.

961 13:59 17 Oct 05

Seagate drives usually have an upper normal operating temperature of 50 dg C although new ones run to 60 deg

If you go to the Seagate web site click here you'll find some diagnostic tests

If you have a case fan at the back extracting air and the processor temp is ok you should be ok. A case fan at the front drawing air in can often make the hard disk hotter

Kingmob05 14:09 17 Oct 05

I'm going to check out this diagnostic test.

I only mentioned the temperature because of the HDDLife freeware program. I don't know how efficient it is, so if you're saying it can get up to 50 then maybe I'm worrying too much.

I called the PC World out of warranty line and they confirmed that the noise could well be a fan problem, which would explain the overheating. They mentioned a clicking noise if it was a hard drive problem which I haven't got.

Either way, it's a relief because the fan should be easy and less expensive to sort out. I'm going to ask a mate, who's a computer whizz, to come round with some fans to see if we can sort it out. Otherwise I'll take it to PC World.

Could anyone else confirm what 961 has said. I'd appreciate any further input and thanks again to 961.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 17 Oct 05

46 degrees pretty normal especially in a compact type case my WD disks are currently runnig at 47.

Kingmob05 16:54 17 Oct 05

I'm not sure what that is I'm afraid and I'm terrible with descriptions.

It's a tower (the large upright rectangle, so I think that's a tower-sorry) and the manufacturer is Packard Bell, so I guess it's standard. It's got a grate at the back near the top which I've been lead to believe is for the CPU fan??

The only reason I ask, as stated before, is because of this HDDLife program. I guess if I didn't have it I wouldn't worry, but normally the temperature has peaked around 39-40 and this is a new rise.

961 10:07 18 Oct 05

The grate at the back at the top is for the fan that lives in the power supply unit

There should be another, probably round, grate further down at the back which will be the extract for the case fan. You should be able to feel warm air coming out of both these openings when the computer is on

The cpu fan is inside and you won't be able to see it from outside

Make sure these openings are clean and clear of fluff etc. Have a look under the computer (when it is off) to make sure there is no debris stopping air getting in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…