Overheating laptop?

Mike_R 15:42 22 Nov 09

My grandchildren have an Acer 5633 which gets quite hot on the underside when running for an hour or so literally on their lap. Is this normal? They say that it is OK when used on a table.

cheap 15:52 22 Nov 09

When they have the laptop on their lap it covers the fan so it cant get rid of heat build up from the cpu. Tell them to keep it on the table.

bremner 15:58 22 Nov 09

Yes it is normal for laptops to get hot.

It is not a good idea to have it on yours or their lap for long periods. An old link tells the story click here

chub_tor 19:10 22 Nov 09

Buy them a cheap laptray with a cloth bottom filled with polystyrene beads. They can be found almost everywhere for people who like to have their TV dinners on their laps.

woodchip 19:13 22 Nov 09

It depends on the CPU in the Laptop I have a Medion with a desktop CPU a Celron this is just like yours you need to use a Tray or get a Laptop cooler like I did with fans in it

woodchip 19:15 22 Nov 09

Do not have any beads under the Laptop. Air goes in the bottom and comes out at the side or back. So you may suck this stuff into the laptop. NOT A GOOD IDEA

Mike_R 23:24 22 Nov 09

Thanks. I will find them an old tray. The thought of scrotum damage will alarm the two lads.

woodchip 16:07 23 Nov 09

I know the one you mean, I have one as I am a old chapi

woodchip 16:26 23 Nov 09

Aldi have a Laptop Cooler plus Memory card reader coming in click here check date its on offer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos