overheating hdd??

hmm.... 20:29 08 Jun 06

I have noticed for several days that my WD 1200JS has been running at 55degrees. It isnt that hot to touch though... and my raptor is reported as a lowly 31 degrees. I have a 120mm blowing straight onto the hdds, could this be an over heating hard drive, if so what do i do..? or could it be a broken sensor? Thanks

ade.h 21:12 08 Jun 06

To be certain, get a second opinion by placing a temp-sensing sticker on it. 55deg is getting close to marginal; the generally accepted limit is about 65deg.

Gongoozler 21:31 08 Jun 06

"It isn't that hot to touch". 60deg ia generally taken as being the "Ouch" threshold, i.e. the temperature above which pain is felt, so 55deg is pretty close.

ade.h 21:38 08 Jun 06

That's what made me think that perhaps a second sesnor would be a good idea. The stickers are good because, by their nature, they cannot suffer from bad calibration.

ade.h 21:38 08 Jun 06

sesnor? sensor.

hmm.... 10:12 09 Jun 06

thanks, I will try a second sensor then. I don't see why the wd 1200JS would be overheating though with a fan on it. Its not even the system hdd, the raptor deals with that, it only stores overly large games and other files.

woodchip 10:17 09 Jun 06

Just a Suggestion, Turn of System restore for that drive as windows will monitor and keep a backup of it. You should only need restore turned on for your Operating System Drive. And on mine I have set it to 7% of drive only

johndrew 14:13 09 Jun 06

If that is a genuine 55 degrees C then you may be in trouble as WD quote 55 as the maximum operating temperature.

ade.h 15:34 09 Jun 06

I don't think it can be genuine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…