Overfilled disk, slow running and crashes

Amalric I 16:15 28 Jun 03

I am writing about a Sony Vaio Laptop PCG F-290 which I have upgraded from the original Win98(non-SE) to Win2000, thereby losing all support from Sony. The hard disk is 6.3GB which quickly fills up. I use it for surfing (IE6)and BT's DSL service), mail (Outlook Express)[both backed up by AOL 8], photo editing (Paint Shop Pro 8), some CAD (various programs inclulding AutoCad 2000 which I have had to uninstall to try to get back enough disk space to be able to defrag the disk), and a few other smaller applications.

The machine has taken to running very slowly, crashing programs every 5 or so minutes and behaving erratically. It takes 15-20 minutes to boot up. I have been trying to free up disk space, but it seems to give back very little space when a large program is uninstalled. (Dumping over 700MB of AutoCad recovered about 200MB).
Is there any way to clean up the disk to remove unnecessary DLLs etc, without risking disableing critical programs? BTW, the Windows Clean Disk routine in My Computer hangs. Defrag won't run without 15% working space which I don't have. I have tried Norton's Disk Doctor to defrag and clean up the disk. It ran overnight, still wasn't finished in the morning and didn't give back any space or speed things up.
What are all these processes? I have 47 of them running, gobbling up RAM (164MB) and CPU time (400MHz)? I can't tell what they are doing, if it is necessary. I have tried stopping some of them with no apparent effect, and of course they are back nest time I boot.
Could there be a problem with too much crap in RAM causing vitual memory to be used, slowing things down by a factor of 40? How can I stop this?
Any assistance will be sincerely appreciated.

Amalric

powerless 16:29 28 Jun 03

I would backup all of your work and install a fesh copy of Windows 2000.

Could you post your systems specs?

VoG II 17:20 28 Jun 03

You could use startuplist click here and compare its listing with click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…