overclocking - small increments in fsb kill my pc

Bailey08787 17:53 02 Jun 04

Hi

I have a P4 2.8ghz, running on an Gigabyte 8I875 motherboard. I would like to overclock the cpu, but whenever I increase the fsb from 200 to 201 (using easytune overclocking software - bundled with gigabyte moterboard), it starts getting a bit unstable (ie mouse pointer jerking all over the place, menus taking an age to open, etc.)

Why?

I thought increases in the fsb were the way to go?

BBez 17:57 02 Jun 04

remember when you tweak the FSB, you tweak everything connected to it, memory, pci/agp bus etc...better trying to clock individual components first...

Bailey08787 17:58 02 Jun 04

Leadtek Ti4400 GeForce 4 GPU
Audigy 2
1gb ddram 3200mhz
go faster stripes

Totally-braindead 18:19 02 Jun 04

You've got a good enough computer there that you don't need to overclock so why bother.

dfghjkl 18:42 02 Jun 04

have you tried clocking your graphics card?

hugh-265156 18:42 02 Jun 04

first you will need better cooling and then after the cooling is in place you may need to up voltages to keep things stable.

after a lot of hard work you may only notice a difference in benchmark scores.

i would leave the cpu overclocking and play with the graphics card instead :-)

hugh-265156 18:42 02 Jun 04

use coolbits or rivatuner

961 19:04 02 Jun 04

Sorry to be a boring old whatnot but I just find it difficult to understand why overclocking is necessary. A 2.8 processor is miles faster than most software and if you are into games it seems to me that the graphics card is the bit that needs the boost and if not why not buy a faster processor and run it at the speed the manufacturer has designed it to run at

My current processor is ancient and 2500 Barton and it whips the legs off the video software I use. Why mess the stuff up by getting it to do something it wasn't designed to do?

Rant over

TomJerry 19:12 02 Jun 04

Intel processor is difficult to kill, in fact very few people managed to kill an intel processor I was told. Why is this? Because Intel processor has self protection build in and it will just shut down the PC when it overheating.

As for overclocking, it may be better to change fsb with bios setting if your motherboard support it. If your motherboard does not support it, overclocking software is just waste of time and dangous.

Intel processor is difficult to overclock. If you really want to do overclocking, i.e. get a super machine with little money, you need to get a AMD based processor.

The game on the town is to overclcok a AMD Mobile Barton 2500 (cost just £65) and overclock to AMD Barton 3200 without any special cooling. With a small modification on cooling, you can get it to 3700 even more.

So have fan.

TomJerry 19:16 02 Jun 04

I think your momory let you down. If you want to use fsb over 200, you need to get faster memory, i.e. faster than PC3200. Otherwise, you need to make your momory out of sync with cpu, i.e. set up memory and cpu frequency different.

Gaz 25 19:17 02 Jun 04

"The game on the town is to overclcok a AMD Mobile Barton 2500 (cost just £65) and overclock to AMD Barton 3200 without any special cooling. With a small modification on cooling, you can get it to 3700 even more."

:-o

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…