Overclocking Failed message

sil_ver 18:59 29 Aug 06

This is a problem that has started quite recently. When I bootup it may load as far as the welcome screen (XP) then it will reboot and all is well. Today it went into a loop, starting to boot, switching off and then rebooting again endlessly until I manually switched it off. I rebooted and got a screen showing all the usual boot messages the last of which was 'Overclocking failed, enter setup'

The thing is I've never o'clocked the system. and it's not the first time I've got this message. If I enter BIOS then F10 out again it boots as normal.

this an ASUS KV8-X-SE slot 754 mobo with Sempron 2800+ 1.6GHz CPU and 2x512Mb DDR400 RAM

User-312386 19:38 29 Aug 06

can you tell us what the fan speeds are on the CPU please

Gongoozler 19:43 29 Aug 06

Does any of this advice help click here

skell 19:49 29 Aug 06

you may need to reset your Bios.

remove the battery on your motherboard putit back in after about a minute and see if that works.. you may have to set your bios again but just set the defaults.

if you dont like tha above idea- and i wouldnt blame you if you dont- wait and see if you get any other better suggestions.

skell 19:51 29 Aug 06

Gongoozler beat me to it.. hehee. and with a nice and clear instruction link, too

sil_ver 20:03 29 Aug 06

Thanks people for your replies. Interesting link GGr but only tells me what I've already tried. I'm pretty sure the CPU fan is up to speed (around 2800rpm last time I checked)and I cleaned out the casing etc not long ago. Could be this mobo is is a bit touchy as I've never had 100% faith in it. When I first bought it it didn't like identical pair of matched RAM but was ok if a 512Mb and 256Mb were installed (weird) A trip to the ASUS forum seemed to confirm the problem as others had had the same problem. Am seriously considering a new AMD mobo slot 754 but different mfr. Any suggestions?

sil_ver 10:06 01 Sep 06

Think I've solved the problem. I suspect it was a mechanical one in that I wasn't pressing the start button firmly enough causing it not to 'latch' properly. Then again.............??? At least it's not failed since

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…