Overclocking cpu options?

sleepy01 12:36 07 May 08

hi, ive posted a few recent questions about upgrading my pc and someone suggested overclocking the CPU.
Ive read a few guides and understand the theory but my BIOS wont give me any options for O/C'ing, its an emachines MS-6714 with a 2.8 northwood P4. I have the option to buy a 3.2 or 3.4 P4 but am reluctant to spend more money on an ageing system. If i could get the cpu up to 3ghz i'd be happy, its currently 100 x 28 (multiplyer)
I read that its possible to use software to O/C but understand they are a bit unstable. Id like to know if anyone can recommend the best program for trying this?
thx

Stuartli 12:41 07 May 08

The best bet is to add more memory - the result will be far more obvious and beneficial.

I am Spartacus 12:56 07 May 08

To put it into perspective. You'd be aiming for a 7% overclock which would knock 21 seconds off a task that took 5 minutes. As Stuartli says more memory would give better results.

sleepy01 12:59 07 May 08

im already at 2g DDR400 and thats the max i can have as only 2 slots :).
I can stick a new card card in but the idea behind O/C'ing the cpu is to reduce some of the bottleneck i would experience with a new card and to help with processes albiet slightly.

I am Spartacus 13:07 07 May 08

I don't think you can fit a Northwood 3.2 or 3.4GHz CPU they both run on a 800MHz FSB which your motherboard doesn't seem to support (assuming I looked up the specifications on the correct one).

The RAM you have is already adequate quantity-wise.

sleepy01 13:11 07 May 08

Mobo is v5 with intel 845GE chipset supporting hyperthreading ie 3.2/4 prescotts

I am Spartacus 13:16 07 May 08

Is this the one? click here

sleepy01 13:25 07 May 08

nope, it is on that site but hard to find, its red in colour

try here
click here

I am Spartacus 16:59 07 May 08

That motherboard can be overclocked as it states that is needed to run a 3.2 or 3.4GHz CPU. Also note the manual states to load the 'High Performance Defaults' when fitting one of those otherwise the FSB will run at 533MHz rather than 800MHz. In effect it has to be overclocked to run them which may possibly introduce instability elsewhere.

sleepy01 22:56 07 May 08

ok thx,so can you advice me on how to do it as there is no option when i enter the BIOS to overclock or change anything. I understand your point and appreciate it but there is no frequency control option. I will go back and try but had a few attemps last night and after searching gave up. Is it locked? do i need to press something to bring it up?. Is using software the only option?
If so, which program is best?
thx

sleepy01 23:15 07 May 08

yeah ive just checked again and nothing for manual O/C'ing, yes there is an option for 'Load optimized defaults' which is im guessing to enable the mobo to accept the higher value cpu. If my only option is to purchase a higher cpu and optimise the mobo great but would rather just O/C the 2.8 cpu i got. However you mention it may create instability elsewhere, can you elaborate on this and advise what else i should be aware of, thx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now