Overclocking AMD 1700 on MSI 6378 Motherboard

hellfire18 14:55 22 Dec 05

Hi all,

I am wanting to overlock my CPU. I have heard that the version of the AMD CPU I have is good for 1900 (1.6Ghz I think!).

In my BIOS I have settings for the the clock frequencies which range from default (133) to 150.

The problem i'm having is that even if I only increase the clock frequency by 1Mhz it seems to become very glitchy.

When ramped to 145Mhz Windows won't boot. If I reset the settings back to default it doesn't make a difference, XP still won't boot.

What could be wrong and is there a software overclocking utility inside XP that can be used to adjust clock frquencies etc.

SANTOS7 15:03 22 Dec 05

You are being given all the warning signs that if you overclock and you do it wrong you are going to turn your PC into a "total tortoise" optomise your pc add more memory if need be cool it down more, things that will prolong the life of your components
rahter than shorten them...

Psiman 19:58 22 Dec 05

Hi hellfire18

Just a quick question for starters. Have you 'unlocked' your AMD thunderbird 1700?

Totally-braindead 20:11 22 Dec 05

Have to agree with SANTOS7 here, if you want to do it fair enough but be aware if things go wrong you'll end up with a very large paperweight and may have to buy a new PC.

hellfire18 15:06 29 Dec 05

Psiman, I have a Palmero (if that's spelt right!) CPU not a thunderbird hence I can only overclock by a few hundred Mhz at the max. How do I unlock it? any guides?

hellfire18 12:16 15 Jan 06

I haven't unlocked the CPU yet. the MSI motherboard doesn't have the feature in the motherboard to control voltage/FSB speed yet.

Once I "unlock" the CPU will it those features appear in the BIOS?

I only need it up by a few hundred Mhz and the performance difference is very good as the CPU appears to be the bottleneck on my CPU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…