Overclocking

Ronnie268 13:58 30 Oct 07

Is overclocking a system potentially harmful?

very much so. if you know what you are doing and have changed the cooling you can gain a lot, if you do it out of sync or have a weak component, ram, motherboard etc you can have serious problems if you have standard cooling you can simply fry components. if you are not 100% sure, have your wallet at the ready!

User-1159794 14:16 30 Oct 07

Some useful reading here.
click here

RobCharles1981 14:20 30 Oct 07

I'm going to start overclocking my AMD 5600 on my Crosshair Mobo, I think I may need Water Cooling for better results.

I am Spartacus 14:26 30 Oct 07

It depends if you have the right components. The Core 2 Duo's with the right motherboard can easily overclock with no risk.

My current setup allows me to make changes which if they're pushing things to far simply stops the system booting. A reboot then takes the settings back to normal for me to try again.

I've found that an E6000 nominally running at 2.4GHz will overclock to 3.2GHz without changing any of the voltages and Corsair Dominator 800MHz RAM runs at 890Mhz, again without altering voltages. That's on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.

I've also fitted a larger CPU heatsink and fan plus extra side, internal and hard disk fans. The Graphics card also has an uprated Copper cooler and bigger fan.

I can get the CPU running at 3.6GHz but I have to up the voltages and it adds too much temperature for it to be worthwhile.

crosstrainer 14:29 30 Oct 07

Of caution! I have seen many many dead system's through overclocking tinkering....To do it you need top grade components, not all memory is overclockable, not all models of seemingly identical graphics cards can be overclocked....etc.

If you want to play a safer game, and have an Nvidia chipset and graphics card download and install Nvidia's "ntune" from:

click here

This will only work with Nvidia kit but will give you an idea of what's possible.

If you are Intel based, have a look:

Here:

click here

As has been stated here, you use this at risk of exposing your system to failure, so proceed with caution.

citadel 18:18 30 Oct 07

lifetime of a cpu is said to be about 10 to 20 years, so reducing it by 5 or so years by overclocking makes little difference as you will have upgraded before then.

ZnO 18:56 30 Oct 07

Dont try this at home !!!!click here

Totally-braindead 19:12 30 Oct 07

You ask if overclocking is potentially harmful and the answer is of course yes.
Overclocking is basically making the components work harder than they were designed to. The biggest problem with doing this is heat. If you overclock a part basically it gets hot and the hotter it gets the more chance of it destroying itself. Go too far and the component destroys itself.
Its risky especially if you don't know what you are doing. I can't afford a new PC or even afford upgrading the cooling on my PC so I don't even try it.
There are dedicated Forums for overclocking and there is much help to be had there but just be aware that if you go too far without adequate cooling etc you will destroy your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…