Overclocking

inneedofhelp 09:58 19 Apr 04

I have recently scored 6134 on the 3dmark03 bencemark program. I want to overclock my processor but not sure what is the best way to do this to gain the biggest increase. Should I increase the FSB, or the multiplier.My specs are below

ASROCK K7S8X motherboard AMD ATHLON XP 2700+ (2.12GHz) 768 MB RAM (256 DDR PC2700 + 512DDR 266MHZ,PC2100) FSB 333MHZ MULTIPLYER 13, Radeon 9800 xt 256MB JEANTECH 400W, THERMALTAKE XASERIII CASE, (7 FANS, 1 CPU FAN = 8 FANS) MICROSFOT WINDOWS XP HOME

Pyrosoft 10:14 19 Apr 04

You will struggle to get much out of it with that Ram. The best thing to do is to bump up the FSB a couple at a time and then see if the machine is stable.

I doubt that you will get very high though, best thing to do i would be to try and get your hands on some 3200 RAM.

For better games performance, try clocking the Graphics card too. Get the app Rage3D and raise the FSB on that too.

poogles_uk 10:24 19 Apr 04

Either get 3200 for both or get both pc2700, that would be faster

AcidBurn7uk 10:51 19 Apr 04

Overclocking is a risky business, you risk PERMANTLY damaging your hardware!

As Pyrosoft says "The best thing to do is to bump up the FSB a couple at a time and then see if the machine is stable."

This will probably give the biggest performance, but it will give a massive increase in the amount of heat produced!!! Make sure you have good airflow inside your case with lots of Fans and Exhausts!! Check out click here (OverClockers) for more info!

inneedofhelp 13:28 19 Apr 04

Thanks guys, i will try it tongiht.Heat shouldnt be a prob, as above, my case as plently of cooling.
I know my ram needs upgrading, just havnt got around to it yet. The 98xt cost be a bit.
I have clocked the card, and got good results
DO any of you know what is the maximum temp at which i can run the cpu?

Pyrosoft 13:36 19 Apr 04

I think that the official max temp for the chip is 85 degrees.
in reality though, anywhere near this and I would be very worried indeed.
I would aim for an absolute max of 55.
Remember that the more you clock the more volts it needs.
I think the stock voltage for this is 1.65 and it goes up in 0.025 increments, so rmember to put this up too.
For 200Mhz I think it would need about 1.725, but this can vary though.

inneedofhelp 14:45 19 Apr 04

i take it i would adjust this is in the cmos.Regarding the temp, i was just curious. My case came with a probe that attches to the botton of the cpu. I have decided to put it on the top of the cpu between it and the heatsink, and i am getting a reading of 42c approx(thats with all the fans on max)

Chegs ® 16:29 19 Apr 04

"... have decided to put it on the top of the cpu between it and the heatsink"

This REDUCES the ability of the heatsink to conduct the CPU's heat away,so you should return the probe to its correct position!

inneedofhelp 17:06 19 Apr 04

the probe is tiny, the width is no more than 1mm thick and no more than 5 mm long.Surly this wont affect it too much?

ThePharcyde007 17:20 19 Apr 04

I put the probe on my GPU and buggered my £200 card shop accepted it back though!!

inneedofhelp 17:24 19 Apr 04

perhaps i will move it then, i should clarify, this was on my cpu, not gpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now