Overclocking

Orbs 08:42 27 Mar 04

I have always considered overclocking the CPU to be dangerous and believe that it can damage the processor. However, many people seem to be doing it these days using overclocking software. Can anyone tell me if there is actually a safe way of doing this or will any amount of overclocking cause permanent damage to the CPU?

johnnyrocker 09:06 27 Mar 04

click here

johnny.

Paranoid Android 11:57 27 Mar 04

One of the ironies of serious overclocking is that the extra cooling required to guarantee a stable system often costs more than fitting the equivalent CPU.

However, mild overclocking is now commonplace, indeed many motherboard manufacturers build the capability into their software and/or BIOS. Everyone does it, or so we are led to believe, but I still wouldn't call it 'safe'.

The problem is that PC components come in a variety of flavours - some have more tolerance for overclocking than others. For example, the new 1600 Durons are supposed to be very good. If you want to overclock, the use of good quality components is essential. click here

Everybody will give you advice, but nobody can guarantee that you won't have a nasty experience.

I personally don't overclock, mainly because I like to run a silent system. To me, less noise is more important than a few extra MHz.

As with so many things in life, it's your money and your choice.

Marvin

Indigo 1 12:17 27 Mar 04

Like Paranoid Android says it really isn't worth it, you must ensure that your equipment including mobo, RAM, and chipset are capable of withstanding the extra strain and at best you will only get a very small increase in performance that you would not notice in real terms.

It will be possible to measure the extra speed using software like Mad Onions 3D Mark but it will not make the slightest difference to performance. If a synthetically higher score is important to you then go ahead but be prepared for the extra heat it will generate and the noise from the extra fans you will need to install to deal with it, not to mention the new power supply unit that will be necessary to deliver the required power.

If your computer is not fast enough already, consider a few upgrades or better still a newer/faster system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…