overclockig without risk or damage

timhenning 19:29 22 May 13

hi,

here i am again... i have magix music maker on my laptop now and i need a 2GB processor and 1GB RAM...

i have a intel atom cpu n270 @1.60GHz (2CPUs)... and enough RAM problem is that when i have more than 2 soundloops running the sound doesnt sound good.

it works fine on a 1.80GHz computer with 2gb ram...

now i was thinking to overclock the laptop a little, but how can i do that without anny risk of damage? or are there programs that overclock automatic when the laptop runs slow?

hope you uderstand what i mean. greets and thanks

jaywoo 21:50 22 May 13

What you have there is a low-power netbook CPU, not really designed for number crunching.

Here's a guide if you want to try; http://lifehacker.com/5842094/speed-up-your-low+powered-pc-or-netbook-by-overclocking

Risk is inherent when you increase the CPU speed and other components above recommended settings;

"There are, of course, some downsides to overclocking. Not only can it make your computer less stable if done improperly, but it can also damage your processor if you push it too hard."

nickf 22:05 22 May 13

I would strongly recommend NOT overclocking this cpu . it is not designed for it , and it is never a good idea to overclock laptop/netbooks

timhenning 23:47 22 May 13

ok, i think i don't overclock it... never done that before... is there another way to make everything faster? no cclean and turn of progs. i did that allready. maybe external RAM or something?

mart7 00:25 23 May 13

music programs use a lot of memory and the more instruments,fx,and loops you add you will get glitches your laptop meets the minimum spec but as you have found its not good enough to run this type of program properly you need a better spec laptop to run this program as jaywoo said its a low powered cpu

Ian in Northampton 10:57 23 May 13

As others have said: no way is that CPU designed to do anything other than basic web browsing and office applications. It's designed to consume very little power (to maximise battery life) and give off very little heat (to make cooling easier) - but the downside is, as you're finding, this means that it delivers very little horsepower. There is, typically, a very straightforward relationship in CPUs between processing performance and power/heat, and, while performance/watt is a key metric in designing processors, they're typically designed to do one or the other (which is, for example, why GPUs consume so much power/give off so much heat - they're designed for no-compromise performance).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced