Overactive Fan with Dell Laptop

Lupe 11:28 11 Apr 06

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop which is about 18 months - 2 years old. Recently I have noticed that the fan comes on after only a short time of use and the computer generally feels quite hot.

Should I be worried about the fan coming on so frequently or is this quite normal? It generally kicks in after about 20-30 mins of use and stays on intermittently until I switch the laptop off.

Thanks!

Belatucadrus 11:48 11 Apr 06

Two things to consider :-
1) Physical problem, ie air vents blocked or dust in the case. Suggested remedies check work surface to ensure it's flat, clean and unobstructed, then take a can of compressed air to the vents and give them a blast.
2) Software problem, ie heavy load background application making the CPU work overtime, thus generating more heat and triggering the fan. Remedy Ctrl-Alt-Delete and check the running processes, shut down anything that's loading the CPU or looks unecessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…