Over zealous real time protection...

wotbus@ 10:26 21 Jan 09

WinXP Home, McAfee AV, Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) and add-on program Ground Environment Pro.
One of the files necessary for GEPro to run is "flt1chk4.dll" which normally resides in SYS32.
The AV keeps quarantining it as a false positive (names it Generic!Artemis).
The only way I can run GEPro is to:
Restore the file from quarantine > come off-line > disable real time protection and then run it.
Any tips would be welcome or is this a subject for a Flight Simulator/Ground Environment Pro/McAfee forum?
Cheers.

DieSse 14:16 21 Jan 09

It's the responsibility of McAfee to fix it.

In the meantime, can you set McAfee to ignore some files or folders when it scans (not familiar with it myself.)

Most gamers use Eset NOD32 AV as it has much less impact on performance. See here click here

Their info is a bit out of date, however, as there is now an eset Security Suite, which does include an excellent firewall, plus anti-spam/malware/spyware too. I use the eset security suite and there is nothing to touch it.

wotbus@ 14:42 21 Jan 09

Thought so, I will take it up with McAfee.
I have no problems with my AV as it doesn't impact performance in my case.
If I restore the file/come off line/disable real time protection - from there I can launch the add-on program I want. If I leave the program running I can enable real time protection and go back on line and everything is OK - until - I quit the program then try to launch it again.
It's not an add-on which requires launching often so no big deal really.
I will pass it over to McAfee.
Thanks for the reply and the link ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…