over written word file

kev240 23:01 13 Jun 08

How can I find details of a microsoft word file I renamed and changed with another file name. Basically I created a file,then over wrote it with another set of contents and renamed it thus losing the original contents.

So for example I created file A, then changed contents and saved as file B, so the contents for file A have gone for good. Is there any chance word saved the contents of the original file A before I overwrote it and saved it as file B.

Kemistri 23:10 13 Jun 08

You created file A; reopened it; edited the contents; saved it with a different title. So how have you overwritten the original file A? If your description is accurate, then you haven't lost it. Unless you omitted a step, such as quick saving before saving again with the new title.....

ened 07:04 14 Jun 08

Your file A will still be on your Hard Drive in the location it was originally.

More easily, open Word click on File and it will be there in the list of previously opened files.

zdbrink 11:53 14 Jun 08

also, accessing the "recent documents" list will show you... well... the recent documents that you have opened. if you have overwritten the original file, that's a different thing

tullie 15:50 14 Jun 08

If youve opened the original,deleted the contents,then re written it,i believe its gone.Unless the original has allready been saved.

jack 17:12 14 Jun 08

Open a file. Edit it, use SAVE AS then rename it.
The original file will still be there where you left it.

Open a file edit it then save it - original gone
How good is your memory or do you have a hard copy[print] to recreate it from

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…