//some 3rd party need geo

over write windows me

LEGGGGY 12:53 05 Feb 05

me again,, during the last couple of weeks ive been getting a number of niggles which effect startup and now scandisc etc.

what happens when you put in the windows disc and re run it. do you lose anything currently on pc ? is this worth doing ?

mattyc_92 12:56 05 Feb 05

If you insert the WinME disk into the system, it will ask you what to do e.g install windows or add componants....

You will probably have to boot from the disk to re-install windows if you have used Windows Update...

And no, you shouldn't lose any files if you do it correctly...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 05 Feb 05

However you may loose e-mails and address book so back them up first.

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here

Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

pete-290318 15:33 05 Feb 05

I have done this many times... often it clears a lot of niggly problems and seems to speed up the machines.
If you have norton antivirus, I reccomend you remove it first coz this has often made the installation stop and usually never works after ME has been reinstalled and I've had to remove it and reinstall anyway.

I cant say about any other anti virus programmes coz I only use norton.

As yet I've never lost any data by running the installation "over the top" but I always back up important stuff anyway.

good luck.

LEGGGGY 19:19 05 Feb 05

poxy thing has completely died, would it be easier to load win xp as on my laptop. would it be an easy transfer ????

kjrider 19:27 05 Feb 05

If it has completly died, mya be worth getting another HD to install XP or ME on.

Then put your old HD in as the 2nd HD to get back all your data.

LEGGGGY 19:43 05 Feb 05

its re-booting with a couple of message pop ups about wininit.exe and says some file is trying to run called P/. . however ive found there is now a number of exclamation marks against drivers ect and it will not allow me to stay online. will try and re boot me tomoro but would rather xp but dont know what i will lose and if it is straight forward as never had to load / unload an operating system..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 05 Feb 05

ME won't start and Me system restore
click here

LEGGGGY 10:43 06 Feb 05

right ive gone and got the win me disc but have just turned the pc on and now it will not load past a screen with Discdrives listed at the top and Pci device listing covering second half of screen. im totally lost now any help please as the pc anger is beginning to rise in me.....

mattyc_92 20:54 07 Feb 05

Sounds like the installation went wrong... Try partitioning your hard-disk and install windows onto that and copy and paste all your files from the other partition and then delete the partition and "merge" it all into one again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…