Over working the PSU?

Ade_1 18:05 03 Jun 07

Hi,

Today I purchased a new sound card as my current onboard ones are playing up.

I inserted the card, installed the software and as a result of that my comptuer started to run unbelievably slowly.

Once I had restarted it (after being instructed to by the installation wizard) I was getting the cursor in the middle of the screen and a black background, nothing else. Nothing happened for about 5 minutes so I turned it off.

I assumed that I was over working the PSU as after I took out the sound card the computer started working fine.

I currently have a 305W power supply.
Components include an X800 PCI-E
P4 Processor
Network Card
A few USB Peripherals.

I tested in on XP, I didn't get round to testing it on Ubuntu, I assumed that it would be the same.

So, I was wondering, was the reason why my comptuer seriously struggled on booting because I was putting too much strain on the power supply?

Thanks in advance

Aidan

citadel 18:13 03 Jun 07

did you disable the onboard sound in the bios before installing the card.

Ade_1 18:15 03 Jun 07

I inserted the card into its PCI slot, then turned the computer on and then disabled the onboard sound before the computer booted.

citadel 18:49 03 Jun 07

you should have disabled the onboard then shutdown pc, installed card, restarted and installed the new cards driver by way of the new hardware found wizard.
a 300 psu is not very much and you would be better off with a 450 or 500 with a 80% + efficiency rating.

Ade_1 19:05 03 Jun 07

I will have to give that a go later then.

Yeah I have often wondered about a new PSU, but seeing as though it is a Dell one I don't think that a standard power supply would fit.

Thanks for the help.

Stuartli 19:47 03 Jun 07

A sound card requires a handful of watts.

See, for instance:

click here

woodchip 20:23 03 Jun 07

you should turn off after fitting the card, then restart for it to clear any windows tasks that do not get shut down with just a restart

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac