Outlook/mail merge for labels

Cara2 12:21 PM 22 Nov 11

Am following step by step wizard, starting from Word 2007, using Mail Merge wizard and data from my Contacts list.

Can follow steps, but must be omitting a stage as when I merge as the pages are blank.

Anything obvious spring to mind? I am really irritated with myself repeating the process but ending up with a blank page!

Woolwell 12:26 PM 22 Nov 11

Have you clicked on update labels?

Cara2 13:05 PM 22 Nov 11

Previous to 'update labels' I have two lines of data, 2nd line is home address. At this point the full name and address is not shown.

Then I press 'update lables' - label reverts to one line of data.

Preview lables shows no data at all?

Woolwell 13:30 PM 22 Nov 11

I suspect that you need to go back to the data source stage. When selecting Outlook contacts did you also choose the contacts folder?

Cara2 13:45 PM 22 Nov 11

Yes, have selected contact folder. At this stage all contacts are displayed and I choose a field to include. The full name and address are displayed.

I get to the stage where 'Next Record' and 'Address Block' are shown, then I press update all lables. 'Address Block' disappears and thereafter no names and addresses are shown.

At this stage it would have been faster to handwrite all the labels!

Woolwell 14:28 PM 22 Nov 11

I cannot replicate that. However in the back of my mind is a problem I had that was not too different to yours and as a long shot try on the View tab choosing web layout and see if the address block appears and then go back to print layout.

Woolwell 14:28 PM 22 Nov 11

I cannot replicate that. However in the back of my mind is a problem I had that was not too different to yours and as a long shot try on the View tab choosing web layout and see if the address block appears and then go back to print layout.

Woolwell 14:31 PM 22 Nov 11

Sorry about the double post - no idea how that happened.

Taff™ 16:03 PM 22 Nov 11

Instead of choosing address block put in the fields for first name, surname and then a line break followed by address line 1, address line 2 etc. Then press the update labels button. It also helps to Preview results before going to the merge.

Cara2 21:43 PM 22 Nov 11

Thanks for suggestions - I will give it a go.

lotvic 00:45 AM 23 Nov 11

If it helps this is how I do it in Word 2003. I have the Mail Merge toolbar showing and click on:

'Main document setup' | 'Open Data Source' | 'Mail Merge Recipients' | 'Insert Address Block' popup box and click on 'Match Fields' at bottom and choose the fields you want | 'View Merged Data' (this will only show record 1 in top left label) | 'Propagate Labels' (which fills sheet 1, section 1) | Click on 'Merge to New Document' and in the pop up box choose 'All'

A new Window opens with a new document created showing ALL the names and addresses. New document shows at bottom as Page 1, Sec 1, 1/4 (or however many sections are needed for the number of sheets of labels you need - each section is a separate page of labels)

I can now save my new document as an ordinary word .doc and print them whenever I want.

I don't bother saving the 1st document that I did all the planning on as I now have the label sheets that I wanted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…