Outlook XP - very long wait for it to start

tingle 16:33 14 Jul 03

Hi, I had a very busy day yesterday, setting up my ADSL connection and wireless network, and installing Outlook XP Pro. Everything seems fine, except Outlook takes forever to start. Once it does start everything seems to work fine. I'm running a Dell 4550, P4 2.6Ghz, with 1GB ram, and everything else runs very fast. I checked task manager, and the processor doesn't seem to be doing anything during the long wait. Any suggestions?

Jester2K II 16:41 14 Jul 03

Open Outlook.

View Menu, Folder List, Right Click Personal Folders at the top of the Folder List, Properties, Advanced, Compact Now, OK, OK.

Close OE and reopen

Any better??

Do you have lots of e-mails you don't need? Delete as many as you don't need before doing this.

Also if running AVG then disbale it before opening Outlook as its scanning through the messages before you can see Outlook.

Jester2K II 16:42 14 Jul 03

Oh and then once Outlook has been cleaned and Compacted you can re-enable AVG.

tingle 17:03 14 Jul 03

Thanks Jester2kII - will try when I get home. What is AVG?

Jester2K II 17:07 14 Jul 03

Anti Virus Guard (Free Anti Virus by Grisoft.com)

It scans all e-mails in Outlook and OE when you open the programs and if there are a lot of deleted messages that are then removed from the deleted items folder and the folder not compacted then it can hang Outlook and OE opening...

HOWEVER i've just noticed that you have only just installed Outlook XP so i don't think compacting is the solution (unless you have dealt with several hundred e-mails since!!)

Jester2K II 17:11 14 Jul 03

click here

Solution was to uninstall Outlook and reinstall.

click here

Corrupt e-mail??

tingle 20:02 14 Jul 03

Thanks ßéŁâ - that did the trick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…