outlook wont forget an email address!

jake williamson 16:17 30 Oct 03

please help - this is driving me mad!

my girlfriend changed jobs recently so i updated her email address in my outlook 2002 contacts list.

everytime i call up a new email and type her name, it autmatically brings in her old email address! it;s driving me mad...

not to mention the fact i keep emailing her replacement at the old company!

is there some simple way to stop this??

thanks to anyone who can help,

jake

A_World_Maker 16:34 30 Oct 03

have you tried removing her contacts details and then insert a new one with all the correct details?
Outlook, like all the 'guess what I am typing, autocomplete' functions, 2nd guess what you want in alphabetical order, your g/f new place/addy might be the next 'guess'?

jake williamson 16:45 30 Oct 03

mate, would love to say that had done it but no joy...

arrrg! this is drivin me mad, cant believe it's this tricky.

thanks for the suggestion,

jake

A_World_Maker 16:57 30 Oct 03

Maybe change your girlfriend? whats the one like that replaced her at the old job?
Only kidding, but sometimes a smile can turn on a light to a solution.

jake williamson 17:03 30 Oct 03

that gets a smile!

actually, she's been hanging around for a while now, perhaps i should think about an upgrade to a faster model?!

cheers,

jake

A_World_Maker 17:12 30 Oct 03

well I only mentioned it, because I ran out of any other ideas to help cure the outlook problem, except that one. If outlook won't change..................

Stuartli 17:35 30 Oct 03

Try disabling AutoComplete temporarily, deleting the old e-mail address and creating a new one.

Then enable AutoComplete again..

Stuartli 17:39 30 Oct 03

Deleting the Recipient

To delete an email address/recipient name for which no correct email address was found:

From the Check Names dialog box, select Delete this recipient from the list

Click OK

jake williamson 17:52 30 Oct 03

think i may have found a temp work round...

my girlfriends name is sara kamer - her old address was sara.kamer@ and her new one is skamer@

if i type sk the auto complete works!

not perfect and it still brings her old address up if i type her whole name but nearly there.

tryin Stuartli suggestions now...

thanks again out there,

jake

Sir Radfordin 18:03 30 Oct 03

When typing an address into the To:, Cc: or Bcc: lines of a new message in Outlook 2002, Outlook will use AutoComplete and automatically suggest an address based on addresses it has cached.
To turn off this feature, so that addresses are never suggested, go to the Tools pull-down menu, choose Options, then click the E-Mail Options button, and the Advanced E-mail Options button. Uncheck the box for "Suggest names while completing the To, Cc and Bcc fields".

To remove one address from the list so that it won't be suggested again, open a new message and begin typing in the address. Use the up and down arrow keys to select the address to be removed from the addresses suggested. When the address to be removed is highlighted, hit the Delete key.

To remove all the saved addresses, delete the .nk2 file where Outlook stores them. The file is normally located in Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder for each Outlook profile.

lindyloo4 18:44 30 Oct 03

The way I remove them is from the drop down list that appears when the first letter is typed in. As the address is highlighted hold down the left mouse button then hit delete. It's the holding down of the mouse button that works for me, just hitting delete doesn't remove it.

Don't change the girlfriend - better the devil you know !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…