Outlook to Windows mail

CardoCardo 11:16 21 Nov 08

I have a PC running Outlook 2003, under XP, which I've used for both business and private emails (on two separate email accounts). I now have a laptop for personal use running Vista and Windows mail. I don't want to run Outlook on that but want to transfer the old stored email/contacts/calender, etc. from my personal account to it. I can export the emails from Outlook as pst, csv or tsv files. I understand that Windows Mail cannot import/convert pst files but can I import them as either csv or tsv and, if so, how?

mgmcc 12:31 21 Nov 08

In Outlook, try exporting your Contacts as a CSV file and your email messages as a CSV file. Then, in Windows mail, select "Import" from the File Menu and import the Contacts CSV file and then the Emails CSV file.

Bear in mind that Windows Mail is Vista's equivalent of Outlook Express and much less sophisticated than Microsoft Outlook. It doesn't have a built-in Calendar feature.

CardoCardo 14:14 21 Nov 08

Thanks,mgmcc.

I can see now how to import "contacts" as CSV but no such option is offered when I go file > import > messages...

I do get a "Microsoft Outlook" option but if I click on that I get "Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client". The files I want are on another PC but I can export them to a CD or removable hard drive. There sees to be no option to state where the files are located for importing.

That's exactly the problem I encountered that caused me to put up this posting.

BurrWalnut 14:57 21 Nov 08

You will have to Import the Outlook messages and Contacts into Outlook Express, copy the .wab and .dbx files to the Vista computer and import them into Windows Mail.

CardoCardo 16:04 21 Nov 08

I have tried to use Outlook Express but the "import" facility there does not show the full folder list from Outlook and the folders I want are not shown.

DippyGirl 16:23 21 Nov 08

If you are prepared to consider a non-MS solution have a look at Thunderbird with Lightening Add-on. Will give you email client and a calendar. Can integrate to Google calendars so you can always access it
Can inport stuff from Outlook and Outlook express also .csv .txt files Dont know how good the import is though

DippyGirl 16:24 21 Nov 08

Sorry forgot the link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…