Outlook vulnerabliltity

jz 21:07 23 Sep 06

I read recently that there's an unpatched vulnerablity in Outlook, where if you get sent a bogus email with a certain type of embedded graphic, nasty things can happen. Microsoft hope to patch it in their October updates.

Question is, would an AV programme catch this? I ask because, as far as I can work out, the picture is embedded in the email (correct me if I'm wrong) so can an AV programme cope with this, or can it only cope with viruses in attachments?

ade.h 22:18 23 Sep 06

Any good AV should be able to cope with virus activity in any form. It may scan e-mails and their attachments, but remember that it also examines virus-like behaviour.

jz 22:26 23 Sep 06

But are these emails virus-like? I've heard that they work in a different way, exploiting "buffer overflows", so would an AV programme be able to detect such an email?

jz 22:35 23 Sep 06

Here's the story: click here.

If AV software does protect users against these sorts of vulnerabilities, then it would be good if news reports like this were to say so (if anyone from PCA is reading this!)

ade.h 22:50 23 Sep 06

That article does not describe a virus.

jz 23:06 23 Sep 06

Ade.h, I didn't say it did. My question is, will AV software protect against such a vulnerability?

ade.h 23:17 23 Sep 06

Yes, based on my own. As I said before, I would expect any decent AV to detect cope with that kind of behaviour. If it didn't, it would very quickly be swapped for one that does.

ade.h 23:18 23 Sep 06

Frankly, I think you're worrying a bit too much.

jz 23:45 23 Sep 06

Nope, I'm not worried about it. I don't even use Outlook. I asked the question since I like to have a reasonable understanding of these things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…