Outlook and Virgin mail

AlanHo 10:20 14 Apr 10

I have used Outlook and Blueyonder mail for some years.

My accounts are set to leave a copy of mail on the server, delete it when it is deleted from Outlook and also delete it after 14 days.

This has always worked fine....the mail on the server was properly managed....until Virgin Media gave Googlemail the job.

Outlook no longer deletes mail from the server and I have to constantly access webmail to keep things tidy.

Am I missing a new setting somewhere?

walesrob 12:06 14 Apr 10

Click settings.
Click Forwarding and POP.
Under POP DOWNLOAD
2. When messages are accessed with POP
use pull down menu to select delete....copy.

But before you do this, and unless you have a dislike of your emails being stored on line or don't trust Google, I would chose the option to archive ... copy when downloading by POP, what will happen then is that you get a copy of your email into your Outlook then Googlemail stores a copy in your webmail (or 'archived'). This is a great idea in my view and something not many email providers do, essentially you have a retrieve and backup email service in one, so if your computer crashes and data is not recoverable, your emails are safe and can be re-downloaded again from Googlemail.

Another option to consider would be to use Googlemail's IMAP to handle email. IMAP basically means you manipulate emails on the server, rather than download them from the server. Personally, I always use IMAP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant