Outlook v Outlook Express

R.C.M. 18:04 09 Aug 06

I read that Microsoft was not supporting the development of outlook express in the future, and they expect people to change to Outlook.

If this information is correct should I change now or wait?

DieSse 18:16 09 Aug 06

I would imagine that even if true, it simply means that OExpress will not be developed further. Since it's a pretty simple email client only, that wouldn't worry me too much.

If it does what you want, why change. It's free - and outlook very definately isn't free.

If you have a desire to try a newer email client, Thunderbird is free, very good, better than OE and you're not reliant on MS. click here

R.C.M. 18:23 09 Aug 06

Thanks for that - I've had a quick look. How easy is it to change from one to the other? Will my settings remain the same?

VoG II 18:47 09 Aug 06

You should find click here and click here useful.

R.C.M. 19:00 09 Aug 06

Nice one VoG™ - you have gave me plenty of reading material will try and digest this tonight.

DieSse 19:01 09 Aug 06

Have a read through the migration FAQs click here

Dumfy 05:23 10 Aug 06

another good one to keep

R.C.M. 10:26 10 Aug 06

I spent most of the evening installing Thunderbird. I like the clean look of the layout [not unfamiliar to outlook express] however - while I can receive emails OK I can't send them I get a message telling me my outgoing email [localhost] smtp server is blocking or refusing access?

I have no idea how to rectify this problem. I've went to OE tools > accounts > mail properties > servers and I can't see where I went wrong.

VoG II 12:31 10 Aug 06

click here may help.

dms05 12:59 10 Aug 06

Does your SMTP server require Authenticating?

R.C.M. 14:58 10 Aug 06

I can still send and receive emails to and from my outlook express account - I can't see where I've gone wrong with Thunderbird, do you think I should take outlook express off my account?

Thanks for your help and patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…