Outlook takes over PC

Liteman 14:01 18 Sep 09

This is not a problem that's likely to drive me to the Samaritans but it is one that gets on my nerves.

Outlook 2003 is left running in the background on my PC; when it checks for new mail I hear several clicks over the speakers and whatever I'm doing is interrupted; typically, if I'm typing something I will find that what I've typed hasn't appeared, similarly if I'm watching a Youtube clip at full screen the picture will reduce to small size on the sound of the clicks. As I said, it's not that drastic, but it would be nice to sort out.

Liteman 16:01 24 Sep 09

Does anyone have any ideas, it's beginning to send me round the bend now!

wee eddie 17:07 24 Sep 09

and, in particular, which OS are you running and how much RAM does it have?

Liteman 17:20 24 Sep 09

XP Home SP2
4 MB Ram
2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core
MS Office 2003

Hope this helps

Bazz2000 17:24 24 Sep 09

Do you actually use outlook 2003? Most home users use outlook express. ~I would uninstall outlok 2003 and your problem should be sorted.

Woolwell 17:39 24 Sep 09

Actually I find Outlook to be better than OE it also has calendar, etc. But do you actually need it running in the background? You may have alerts enabled to turn them off Turn off alerts
On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Preferences tab, click E-mail Options, and then click Advanced E-mail Options.
Under When new items arrive in my Inbox, clear the Display a New Mail Desktop Alert (default Inbox only) check box.

VoG II 17:48 24 Sep 09

Also untick Play a Sound.

Liteman 18:26 24 Sep 09

I need Outlook as I use several of it's functions that OE doesn't have, in particular mail merge which I use a lot.

Have set options as suggested - will report back tomorrow when I've given it a chance to run for a while.

wee eddie 08:46 25 Sep 09

I'm assuming that it's a 32bit System.

I know that that sounds barking but I'm clutching at straws.

How's that for a mixed metaphor!

Liteman 10:14 25 Sep 09

As I use Photoshop a lot (main reason for PC) so I need as much Ram as I can have.

Have just tried to install a new graphics card which seems to have screwed up my PC completely so am in he middle of an Acronis restore and having to send this via my laptop. Will report back when PC up and running again (don't hold your breath)

wee eddie 10:40 25 Sep 09

that XP did not support above 3GB of RAM.

Not to worry ~ Worth a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac