Outlook spins its wheels on startup

splinternet 10:38 31 May 05

I've been running Outlook 2000 on my laptop for over a year. Just recently, either at the point when I invoke it, or when it first starts to download email, it goes walkabout for about 10 minutes. During this time, it's completely locked out and I can hear the disk working overtime. Other applications run very slowly during this time. When it has completed whatever it's doing, it runs fine thereafter. This happens every single day. Does anyone have any thoughts? I've got quite a lot of email on my hard drive, is there a threshold after which Outlook needs to do some index re-org's every time it is invoked?

Yoda Knight 10:59 31 May 05

You could try moving some of it into personal foldes and archive them

matt1234 11:00 31 May 05

might be a virus!!!

Indigo 1 11:16 31 May 05

This is one of those issues that people seem to forget about.

You need to think of you email inbox in the same way as your letter box, an inbox is just the same, you wouldn't leave all your mail in the letter box indefinitely (or behind the front door), it is just not practical because that is not what it was designed for. You must regularly 'archive' any messages that you want to save, that will help speed up the loading of your email program.

I also agree with matt1234, you might also have some sort of virus.

splinternet 11:25 31 May 05

I'll have a go at archiving. Is there any particular folder I need to concentrate on - Inbox seems the obvious but Send and Deleted are also pretty heavy.

I would be surprised if it's a virus, I've got McAfee scrutinising everything I do and everything that comes in.

Yoda Knight 11:30 31 May 05

right click on your outlook today, properties, theres an option to show you the size of each folder

splinternet 12:53 31 May 05

I've got the following folders / sizes (in MB):
Calendar 5
Deleted 176
\subfolder1 227
\subfolder2 353 (subtotal Deleted: 756)
Drafts 3
Inbox 49
Inbox old 105
Sent 126
\subfolder1 88
\subfolder2 60
\subfolder3 27 (subtotal Sent: 301)
misc. folders 20
Grand Total 1230 (1.23 Gb)

This doesn't strike me as too much.

Yoda Knight 14:29 31 May 05

Actually that is quite a bit !

Make a personal folder (File, new, personal folders file)and move all your saved items into that. Empty ur deleted and sent items folders completely. Then archive the new personal folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…