Outlook slow to start up

Pineman100 17:21 17 Feb 07

My daughter runs Office 2000 under Win XP SP2 Home. She uses Outlook as her email client.

Recently it has been taking Outlook longer and longer to start up for the first time each day. Sometimes it just stops halfway through starting up, and Task Manager reports it as "Not responding".

The odd thing is that this only happens when Outlook is the first program to be started. If she boots up the computer and then starts Outlook, she gets the problem. If she boots up, starts another program first, then starts Outlook, it starts up at normal speed.

I have checked to make sure that she's not trying to start Outlook before the computer has fully booted up to the Desktop, so I know that's not the problem.

Has anyone got any idea how to solve this, please?

Kingfisher 20:59 17 Feb 07

have a look here click here.
also in outlook click on help and select detect and repair, you will need your office cd, how much ram is installed it could be a memory problem

Pineman100 09:48 18 Feb 07

Thanks for that very useful advice, Kingfisher.

She has 512MB of RAM, which seems a reasonable amount. If the RAM was too small, wouldn't this have shown up from the start, rather than being a recent problem?

Kingfisher 17:40 22 Feb 07

Hi Pineman,
sorry for the late reply I seem to remember that if Outlook gets to big ie lots of emails etc more ram is req'd to operate it, not absolutely sure about this, I think that another 512ram would see an all round peformance on your daughters pc,
good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now