Outlook Send/Receive Errors

ElephantRhino 11:01 18 Nov 04

Outlook has developed a major problem trying to send/receive and now regularly display 0x8004210A errors (across multiple accounts). It's happened intermittently before but since yesterday is almost permanent. I haven't upgraded any software or reconfigured my firewall - the only thing I can think of as a possible, if unlikely, cause is I ran a full virus scan. I'm using Outlook 2002 on W98SE2 and Zone Alarm as firewall.

rawprawn 11:02 18 Nov 04

click here have a look here.

rawprawn 11:06 18 Nov 04

click here And this.

ElephantRhino 13:08 24 Nov 04

Thanks - it seems to be similar to this, although I don't have Norton - I use Zone Alarm with Anti-Virus. If I close the Anti-Virus module then the errors stop ( as well as 0x8004210A I also receive 0x80004005 and 0x800CCC0F errors). Not an ideal state of affairs as the purpose of this product is to provide automatic virus protection!

Steven W 13:14 24 Nov 04

OL2002: You Receive 0x8004210A, 0x800CCC0B, and 0x8004210B Error Messages When You Send and Receive E-Mail Message with a POP3 E-Mail Account

click here

This problem occurs when your mail server requires both Secure Sockets Layer security (SSL) and Secure Password Authentication (SPA).

ElephantRhino 16:31 24 Nov 04

Thanks for quick response. I've been reviewing the MS site and I'm not clear on whether I can/should install these updates. I'm running W98SE2, with Office 97 (Word, Excel etc) but have a more recent Outlook (2002) - all the downloads from Microsoft refer to Office XP?

Steven W 16:47 25 Nov 04

Outlook 2002 is Outlook XP. Confussing I know but it is.....

ElephantRhino 16:02 29 Nov 04

I know I may be being over cautious here but I've been reading through the details via your link and all refer to Office XP and not Outlook XP. I know Outlook is part of Office but will the update automatically recognise the only XP product I have installed? Another cause of concern is where I've tried to use the Microsoft Update site to automatically check I need it and it fails!

Danoh 02:13 30 Nov 04

Yes, Office update will auto pick up your Outlook 2002 as well as Office 97, although I don't think there are active auto updates for the later anymore. The office site also has manual downloads/updates for Office 97, Outlook 98, etc.

ElephantRhino 14:56 30 Nov 04

But the Office Update feature fails part-way through. I tried loading Office XP SP3 update, which failed with "the expected version of the product was not found on your system". I then tried the Outlook 2002 Update which failed with the same error. I then revertd to the Office XP SP1 update, with the intention of building up to SP3, which failed with "Office Hotfix Installer encountered a problem" which I sent to Microsoft. I seem to be well and truly stuffed on this issue!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…