Outlook Send/Receive Errors

ElephantRhino 11:01 18 Nov 04

Outlook has developed a major problem trying to send/receive and now regularly display 0x8004210A errors (across multiple accounts). It's happened intermittently before but since yesterday is almost permanent. I haven't upgraded any software or reconfigured my firewall - the only thing I can think of as a possible, if unlikely, cause is I ran a full virus scan. I'm using Outlook 2002 on W98SE2 and Zone Alarm as firewall.

rawprawn 11:02 18 Nov 04

click here have a look here.

rawprawn 11:06 18 Nov 04

click here And this.

ElephantRhino 13:08 24 Nov 04

Thanks - it seems to be similar to this, although I don't have Norton - I use Zone Alarm with Anti-Virus. If I close the Anti-Virus module then the errors stop ( as well as 0x8004210A I also receive 0x80004005 and 0x800CCC0F errors). Not an ideal state of affairs as the purpose of this product is to provide automatic virus protection!

Steven W 13:14 24 Nov 04

OL2002: You Receive 0x8004210A, 0x800CCC0B, and 0x8004210B Error Messages When You Send and Receive E-Mail Message with a POP3 E-Mail Account

click here

This problem occurs when your mail server requires both Secure Sockets Layer security (SSL) and Secure Password Authentication (SPA).

ElephantRhino 16:31 24 Nov 04

Thanks for quick response. I've been reviewing the MS site and I'm not clear on whether I can/should install these updates. I'm running W98SE2, with Office 97 (Word, Excel etc) but have a more recent Outlook (2002) - all the downloads from Microsoft refer to Office XP?

Steven W 16:47 25 Nov 04

Outlook 2002 is Outlook XP. Confussing I know but it is.....

ElephantRhino 16:02 29 Nov 04

I know I may be being over cautious here but I've been reading through the details via your link and all refer to Office XP and not Outlook XP. I know Outlook is part of Office but will the update automatically recognise the only XP product I have installed? Another cause of concern is where I've tried to use the Microsoft Update site to automatically check I need it and it fails!

Danoh 02:13 30 Nov 04

Yes, Office update will auto pick up your Outlook 2002 as well as Office 97, although I don't think there are active auto updates for the later anymore. The office site also has manual downloads/updates for Office 97, Outlook 98, etc.

ElephantRhino 14:56 30 Nov 04

But the Office Update feature fails part-way through. I tried loading Office XP SP3 update, which failed with "the expected version of the product was not found on your system". I then tried the Outlook 2002 Update which failed with the same error. I then revertd to the Office XP SP1 update, with the intention of building up to SP3, which failed with "Office Hotfix Installer encountered a problem" which I sent to Microsoft. I seem to be well and truly stuffed on this issue!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…