Outlook searches Floppy on Send/Receive - help!

peterjelliott 08:35 23 Oct 04

I have previously posted thinking that my PC hard drive was going mad (probably just me) because when I do a send/receive with either Outlook or Mailwasher a loud noise comes from my PC – which I had assumed to be the hard drive about to pack up.

However, I inadvertently discovered this morning that, when I do a send/receive the noise is actually coming from the floppy disk drive. I have temporarily disabled the drive and hey presto, no problems, noise disappears.

Any ideas as to why, when carrying out these operations only (i.e. it doesn’t happen at any other time), the floppy drive should even be accessed, let alone be searched?

I've tried checking file locations etc within Outlook, but these all point to the hard drive and I just don't understand why anything should point toward the floppy.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Forum Editor 08:46 23 Oct 04

recently saved an Outlook file to a floppy disk for some reason - an email message or attachment perhaps?

If you have, try saving the same file back to your hard drive, and the floppy seek will stop.

peterjelliott 08:56 23 Oct 04

I might have done - only trouble is this has been going on for ages now - probably a good 2-3 months and I've been religiously backing up everything with fervour assuming it to be the hard drive about to go west!

Meantime, I cannot for the life of me think what I might have copied to floppy from within Outlook, but it's certainly a possibility.

Any ideas as to how I might find out what file this could have been? I've checked the recent document list but, as you might expect after this length of time, there's nothing in there relating to this.

If not, any other ideas short of uninstalling & reinstalling Office?

€dstowe 09:10 23 Oct 04

Do you ever use your floppy drive? If yes, then can you manage without it?

I have several machines now with no floppy drive installed and a number of commercial machines also don't have floppies fitted.

You say you have temporarily disabled the drive - why not make this permanent?

ICF 09:15 23 Oct 04

Have alook at this click here

peterjelliott 09:18 23 Oct 04

I guess that's an easy answer. I have a ZIP + the standard CD/DVD RW so at the end of the day, I can probably live without it. If I really needed it, I could easily enable it again I suppose.

It would be nice to be able to stop Outlook searching, but it might come to this if I can't suss out how to prevent it happening.

Graham ® 10:08 23 Oct 04

Some info from Microsoft:

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…