Outlook & Reformatting

babybell 14:38 09 Jul 08

My laptop running XP has become unbelieveably slow so I want to reformat it but I was wondering what i need to do inregards to backing up outlook? I have my own business and my life is pretty much contained in emails and contacts on outlook. How easy is it to backup Outlook so that once reinstalled I can keep all my emails and contacts?

I am Spartacus 14:46 09 Jul 08

I'm surprised that you're not backing it up anyway if it's so important.

Look for a .pst file, probably called outlook.pst. You may have to search for hidden files and folders and it's normally in your documents and settings folder.

RobCharles1981 14:48 09 Jul 08

For the emails I highlight with the mouse drag them into appropriate folders on another hard drive so for example Sent, Received, go in other folders.

With Contacts

If using XP goto your address book usually found:

Start Programs Accessories and from there you will find the address book go into it and select file and then "export" and save somewhere for example to your desktop.

I am Spartacus 14:50 09 Jul 08

Forgot to mention. When you reinstall Outlook start it up and it will create a new empty outlook.pst file. Shutdown Outlook and search for and delete this new file. Open Outlook again and you'll get a message to say it can't find it. Navigate to the location of your original file and it will have your emails, contacts etc.

babybell 15:55 09 Jul 08

Thanx for your help, I have located the outlook.pst file and copied it to my external hard drive, it is 188mb, I'm assuming that means it has all my emails and such like!

babybell 11:07 16 Jul 08

I finally got round to reformatting and reinstalling Outlook 2003. I copied over my outlook.pst file, which i backed up before reformatting. The problem is, when Outlook loaded, only my emails from 2007 appeared, nothing from 2008. I ran a backup of the .pst file before reformatting so why wouldn't it have backed up my 2008 emails?

I am Spartacus 11:20 16 Jul 08

If you've copied the pst file it should have everything in. It's not a copy you made last year?

I do this on a fairly regular basis and haven't experienced data loss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017