Outlook problem - can't access inbox

morters 11:17 29 Oct 14
Answered

I have Windows 7 and Outlook 2007.

When I opened Outlook this morning I got the following message:

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart outlook."

Now I can't open any emails in my inbox, although i can open sent emails.

Have tried searching for remedies online but they are all too technical for me. I am very definitely not IT savvy!!!!

Can anyone help in easy to understand instructions how to fix this, please?

lotvic 11:38 29 Oct 14

"If the problem persists, restart outlook"

(sorry but it's got to be asked) Did you restart outlook?

morters 11:45 29 Oct 14

Many times, lotvic, many times. Should have said so.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:16 29 Oct 14

Had a similar problem with live mail yesterday and had to disable the mail shield in my antivirus to receive emails - sorted it self out later in the day.

morters 12:44 29 Oct 14

Thanks, Fruit Bat, have disabled Antivirus and Firewall on Comodo free AV for 30 minutes - we'll see if anything happens!

morters 14:32 29 Oct 14

Nothing changed, Fruit Bat.

Woolwell 14:46 29 Oct 14

Possibly a corrupt pst file. See MS Outlook help and MS Support.

There may well be a number of spam messages now offering pst repair tools - avoid them.

Alternatively start Outlook in safe mode which is more complicated and uses the run command see Command line switches

Woolwell 14:49 29 Oct 14

Before doing anything else - do you have all of the Office 2007 service packs installed? See MS Hotfix

morters 15:01 29 Oct 14

Woolwell, thanks for reply. Am trying to check your queries but find any MS help pages extremely difficult if not impossible to understand; like I said I am not IT savvy, more likely illiterate! Checked earlier but there are no updates available.

morters 16:56 29 Oct 14
Answer

Woolwell, scanned for corrupt .pst files, followed the instructions and problem solved! Didn't know what the hell I was doing but it seems to have worked. Thank you so much for your effective help.

Woolwell 17:24 29 Oct 14

Pleased that it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…