Outlook & Outlook Express

g0slp 09:18 08 Mar 06

Hello fellow Forum devotees.

I've just got back from my latest tour of duty at sea, & straight onto the forum...

Whilst I was away I got a call from my wife, who said that our e-mail system (Outlook Express 6) had disappeared from the computer, & Outlook 2003 had appeared, so all our Address Book contacts had disappeared. That wouldn't be a complete disaster, as I've got a backup stored on my laptop, but things would have to wait for my return home.

I've found that OE hadn't disappeared, but what I think's happened is that one of the kids has opened Outlook & clicked on the option to set it as the default mail program.

There are two reasons why I'm posting. The first is to ask if the OE Address Book will work with Outlook, & secondly to solicit fellow forum members' views on the pros & cons of OE versus Outlook. I've not used Outlook before, but as I've used several email systems whilst serving on different ships (Globe Wireless, Dualog, Amos Connect, to mention 3) it's not too much of a problem for me. I'm just interested to know what others think.

BTW, I've got Mailwasher Pro as a primary crud filter; this might enter the discussion?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Diodorus Siculus 10:08 08 Mar 06

[quote]if the OE Address Book will work with Outlook[/quote] - not as far as I know, but it can be imported into Outlook.

OE is a fairly old piece of kit nowadys but it seems to do the job for many people. Outlook is much more advanced but may be beyond what is necessary.

With OE you can set up various identities which can be useful when there is more than one user.

wotbus@ 10:51 08 Mar 06

Outlook is over complicated and not very user friendly in my opinion. Mozilla Thunderbird satisfies millions of users so why not give it a try - you can always bin it if it's not to your taste.
click here

g0slp 11:11 09 Apr 06

My thanks to Diodorus Siculus & wotbus@ for responding.

I've given Outlook a month, & whilst I like Thunderbird (using it on my laptop) my wife isn't sure about it, so I've put OE back on the family computer, with warnings to the kids as to what will happen if they switch Outlook on again!

(Plus shown how to reset OE as default.

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…