Outlook or Outlook Express

kainos 11:18 14 Aug 07

I have always used Outlook Express (now with Vista: Windows Mail) even though I have always had access to Outlook.
Is this missing an opportunity - what would be the advantage of setting up Outlook as default mail program?

thetallguy 11:42 14 Aug 07

The advantage would be that you would be able to do more fancy things with e-mails, but mainly Outlook includes a Calendar, Notes Section, diary, reminders, and a few others that i cant remember. If you just want to send and receive e-mails I would stick with Outlook Express/Windows Mail.

VoG II 11:42 14 Aug 07
  kainos 12:23 14 Aug 07

Thank you for your responses. I had read the Microsoft descriptions as you had directed a previous thread to this page VoG™.
I suppose I am looking for more subjective responses, along the lines of: I prefer Outlook because it is: quicker/easier/links to other Office applns or any other reason to prefer it.
However as I am a "silver" and no longer need to have management lists(To Do etc). Perhaps the answer is to stick with Microsoft Mail unless people suggest Outlook is much better.

Clapton is God 13:14 14 Aug 07

"I suppose I am looking for more subjective responses"

Quite frankly you've already had the best response from thetallguy who says:

"Outlook includes a Calendar, Notes Section, diary, reminders, and a few others that i cant remember. If you just want to send and receive e-mails I would stick with Outlook Express/Windows Mail".

That's it - end of story. There's nothing more to add!

DieSse 16:14 14 Aug 07

Or better yet try Thunderbird click here

A definite improvement on Outlook Express.

jz 20:38 14 Aug 07

I've used them both quite a bit on various different PCs, and to be honest, I prefer the simplicity of Outlook Express. For home use, it does all I need.

For business use in a company with many people and PCs, Outlook is the best choice since it has all those facilities that others have suggested, so you can see when your colleagues are on holiday by checking their calendars. To do this, they use another bit of software called "Exchange" (not cheap) running on server which links all the Outlook users together.

Pine Man 10:50 15 Aug 07

I have considered using Outlook instead of Windows Mail as Mail is much, much slower than Outlook Express.

If you are looking for a reason to change from Mail to Outlook this may be a good reason unless anyone has tried it and found it no faster?

kainos 11:58 15 Aug 07

Thank you for your responses - jz, DieSse & Pine Man, all a great help, just what I was looking for. I may give thunderbird a go otherwise I shall stick with Windows Mail.

I would just add that the few times I have asked a question on this forum I have had very helpful responses, and reading other threads it is quite clear that this is the experience of others. What a shame then that the occasional response is less than helpful- perhaps Clapton etc would agree that if there is nothing to say it is best left unsaid.

Clapton is God 12:06 15 Aug 07

My comments were intended to be helpful.

You were looking for a simple e-mail client and that's what OE is.

I hardly think it appropriate if you start abusing other members who are, with all the best intent, trying to be helpful (which, incidentally, I've been doing as a member of this Forum since 2002).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017