Outlook not starting

so3003 20:08 17 Nov 03

Anyone have any ideas why Outlook 2000 isn't starting on my machine? Has worked fine until now, and no changes have been made to my system.

I open it, and the "flash" screen comes up but the program doesn't load, and I eventually get a "program not responding" error.

All suggestions welcomed!

Cheers
Scott

VoG II 20:26 17 Nov 03

Do other Office 2000 programs load OK?

porci 20:30 17 Nov 03

Have you checked in Task Manager when you launch it that only one instance launches and check the count increases

so3003 20:32 17 Nov 03

Yeh, other office programs load fine.

It only tries to load one instance of it.

porci 20:44 17 Nov 03

I remember seeing this once before but in 97 version. You have tried the obvious I guess by doing a total shutdown and then a restart.

Other thing to try would be system restore if you are running XP. I presume your IE connection is ok eliminating that. I reckon the best bet would be to save your .pst file and use the disc to do a re-install, it should bring up a repair option

christmascracker 20:48 17 Nov 03

Can you not do a repair of the program?

porci 20:59 17 Nov 03

Is there an echo here

VoG II 22:18 17 Nov 03

To repair

Click Start on the taskbar, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add Remove Programs.

Click Microsoft Office 2000, and then click Add/Remove.

Click Repair Office.

Click Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Finish.

If that doesn't work, try the Inbox repair tool
click here

so3003 10:19 18 Nov 03

I'm going to do a reinstall, but in the past when I've done this I end up losing loads of emails because I always backup the wrong files.

Where will I find the file(s) containing all my email messages, folder structure etc from MS Outlook?

Jester2K II 10:22 18 Nov 03

In XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR LOG IN>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

However how big is the OUTLOOK.PST file - it might be too big and simply need compacting!!

so3003 10:28 18 Nov 03

I use Win98SE, but I suppose it's the same file names - I've found Outlook.pst and Archive.pst

The Outlook.pst file is about 60mb - is that too big, and if so, any way to compact it without having to reinstall Office?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant