Outlook not starting

so3003 20:08 17 Nov 03

Anyone have any ideas why Outlook 2000 isn't starting on my machine? Has worked fine until now, and no changes have been made to my system.

I open it, and the "flash" screen comes up but the program doesn't load, and I eventually get a "program not responding" error.

All suggestions welcomed!

Cheers
Scott

VoG II 20:26 17 Nov 03

Do other Office 2000 programs load OK?

porci 20:30 17 Nov 03

Have you checked in Task Manager when you launch it that only one instance launches and check the count increases

so3003 20:32 17 Nov 03

Yeh, other office programs load fine.

It only tries to load one instance of it.

porci 20:44 17 Nov 03

I remember seeing this once before but in 97 version. You have tried the obvious I guess by doing a total shutdown and then a restart.

Other thing to try would be system restore if you are running XP. I presume your IE connection is ok eliminating that. I reckon the best bet would be to save your .pst file and use the disc to do a re-install, it should bring up a repair option

christmascracker 20:48 17 Nov 03

Can you not do a repair of the program?

porci 20:59 17 Nov 03

Is there an echo here

VoG II 22:18 17 Nov 03

To repair

Click Start on the taskbar, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add Remove Programs.

Click Microsoft Office 2000, and then click Add/Remove.

Click Repair Office.

Click Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Finish.

If that doesn't work, try the Inbox repair tool
click here

so3003 10:19 18 Nov 03

I'm going to do a reinstall, but in the past when I've done this I end up losing loads of emails because I always backup the wrong files.

Where will I find the file(s) containing all my email messages, folder structure etc from MS Outlook?

Jester2K II 10:22 18 Nov 03

In XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR LOG IN>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

However how big is the OUTLOOK.PST file - it might be too big and simply need compacting!!

so3003 10:28 18 Nov 03

I use Win98SE, but I suppose it's the same file names - I've found Outlook.pst and Archive.pst

The Outlook.pst file is about 60mb - is that too big, and if so, any way to compact it without having to reinstall Office?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…