Outlook (NOT express) ... and setting up E:Mail

Heefie 00:33 08 Aug 06

I've used Outlook Express for years, it seems to do what I want, but it's never had the class, the sophistication, and more importantly, the extras of OUTLOOK ...

I've just upgraded & loaded WinXP, and Outlook Express doesn't seem to be included, so I thought I'd give OUTLOOK it's long awaited chance (I use it at work & I like it, so ...) It's part of Office 2003 but I can't seem to access my ISP ... my Name & E:Mail address are correct, my Username & Password are correct (I just accessed my E:Mail online, so I know these are correct !).

The ISP, UTVINTERNET, are *!@: poor at most things technichal, and their website gives me 2 options for access details, mail.utvinternet.com twice and pop.utvinternet.com & smtp.utvinternet.com ... but it just will not connect ... I'm sure it must be something ridiculously simple, but it's been a hard couple of days and I'm sticking to my story of being too tired to spot the bleeding obvious s> !!!

Any help very gratefully appreciated !!!

Gaz

Forum Editor 00:44 08 Aug 06

Windows XP does include Outlook Express.

In Outlook, all you have to do is set up a mail account in exactly the same way you did it in Outlook Express.

You enter your email address and your username and password for the POP mail server, and this is where a lot of people go wrong. The way the mail account dialogue is configured can confuse you into thinking that you have to enter the username and password that you use to login to your ISP - and that's not necessarily the case. What you must do is enter your MAILBOX login details, and if you have your own domain name for instance these will be different to your ISP login.

The other thing that sometimes catches people out is the increasing tendency for ISPs to require a login to the SMTP server, so make sure that if yours does need this information you enter it under the advanced settings tab - with an ISP mailbox the login will be the same as for the POP3 inbound mailserver.

Double-check all that and see how it goes.

terryf 01:23 08 Aug 06

If in doubt press F1 key when you are in the outlook window, this will bring up help!

Heefie 22:43 08 Aug 06

... but I couldn't get it to work & couldn't find Outlook Express !!!

I've installed Thunderbird now & it's running just fine using the same settings !!!!

johnnyrocker 23:35 08 Aug 06

start/settings/control panel/add remove progs/add remove windows items. that is if oe is not in your start/programs/all programs which i am sure it will be

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…