Outlook messages slow to open

When clicking on a message in my inbox, there is a delay (about 2-3 seconds) befor the message is displayed. I can understand this happening when the mssage contains pictures but it also happens when opening text only messages. I still have some messages in my Outlook Express 6 mailbox and thes open straight away.

System is AMD XP2600+ with 512 MB of RAM. OS is Windows XP.

PS. Same happens with messages in 'sent items' folder. Rechecked and messages take about 4 seconds to open.

A_World_Maker 19:45 21 Nov 03

how many messages have you got in those boxes.. I use folders off Inbox and Sent as I do in my hard disc.. also allow outlook to compress/archive old messages.. outlook stores messages in a database format and has to uncompress them before showing them, the more messages in the inbox/sent, the more it has to sort before openning...

Thanks for reply.

There are only a few messages in the inbox and even less in 'sent items'.

I use Outlook at work on a much lower spec machine and the messages open instantly, even when there are a lot of them.

VoG II 22:03 21 Nov 03

Which version of Outlook please.

Version 2002 with SP2.

Sorry, should have mentioned this in my post.

VoG II 22:12 21 Nov 03

Sorry but I should also have asked: is this a stand-alone 'puter or are you on a network using Microsoft Exchange?

It's a stand-alone computer, VoG.

Jester2K II 20:10 22 Nov 03

What (if any Anti Virus) do you have?

Hi Jester2K II.

I have NAV 2003. I've had this for some time and I am sure that messages were opening straight away in the past. I did reinstall office XP recently though.

A_World_Maker 10:08 23 Nov 03

Check in the email functions 'Tools.... Options'.. that you do not have tracking switched on by default...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…