Outlook Express,howto save "Blocked Senders"list

Chegs ® 00:39 12 Nov 03

I have a mate(whose just left having asked me)with a long list of blocked senders in OE,and he wishes to save these to restore onto a new install of 98se.I said it would require digging thru the OE files for the relevant .(OE files)but couldn't elaborate further.Is it possible,and if so,how please?

beeuuem 00:46 12 Nov 03

The first section of click here tells you one way to do it.

Backing up Selected Identity Settings

Some user settings that are Identity-specific cannot be backed up using the built-in tools in OE. Message Rules, Blocked Senders, Signatures and Custom Views are all stored in the Windows registry, and so must be backed up manually.
In Regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Identities
\{GUID}
\Software
\Microsoft
\Outlook Express
\5.0

where GUID is the Global Unique IDentifier for your Identity.
Under that key, you will find the following sub-keys, among others:

\Block Senders
\Rules
\Signatures
In the left-hand pane, click on each sub-key and then click Registry| Export Registry Key, and save the selected branch to your hard disk as type *.reg. Note that the \Rules key contains both message rules and custom views.
Restoring Selected Identity Settings

To restore the keys at a later time, you must first determine the GUID of your new Identity. Do this by opening Regedit and navigating to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Identities
\{GUID}

Click on each {GUID} sub-key to see the "Username" value in the right-hand pane. When you find the Identity (Username), right-click on the {GUID} sub-key, click Rename, then press Ctrl-C to copy the name to the clipboard. Now press the ESC key. Do not rename the key! Close Outlook Express, and you are now ready to begin the restore process.
For each registry file (*.reg) that you saved in your backup, open the *.reg file in Wordpad and change all occurrences of the old {GUID} with the {GUID} of your current Identity (now you know why I had you copy the {GUID} to the clipboard). Save the edited file, making sure it is still saved as type *.reg and not *.txt.
In Regedit, delete the keys you wish to restore, making sure you are deleting the ones below your Identity's {GUID} keys.
Double-click the saved *.reg keys

Chegs ® 00:52 12 Nov 03

I have emailed the link and your text too,leave him to sort it.Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…