Outlook Express/BT Broadband

paulhicko 13:11 15 Jan 03
  paulhicko 13:11 15 Jan 03

Suddenly I can't send messages via outlook express using my lineone email address. It says my email address has been rejected. Same goes for my wife and kids. We can still receive. Anybody got any idea whether this could be a BT Broadband problem, or a lineone (tiscali) problem, or an OE problem? I know BT warn there may be problems with some mail servers on broadband but it's been okay for last month. And why would I be able to receive messages but not send them?

recap 13:18 15 Jan 03

Check your SMTP settings in all your accounts paulhicko. If every thing is OK there, then the problem may well be with either BT or lineone.

powerless 13:21 15 Jan 03

Whats the whole message you are recieving and are you trying to send a .exe file?

Lozzy 13:31 15 Jan 03

If your ISP is BT then you cannot send emails via your second ISP but you can receive them. Your POP address must be your connected ISP's. E.G. for BT pop address is mail.btopenworld.com

Gemma 13:32 15 Jan 03

Ensure that the outbound SMPT server is correct.
It is not uncommon for ISPs to chnage things on the fly. In general the server to list is the first one your mail is going to pass through.

Leave the inbound server as is.

For Outlook Express: Ask your ISP for the server name and then..

Tools, accounts,properties,servers...

Terrahawk 13:40 15 Jan 03

if you use bt you cant use lineone/tiscali's smpt server whereas you can recieve mail from the pop server until such time as lineone/tiscali realise what is happening and totaly cancell the account if you are on bt no frills it may be worth scanning the web for a mail account some do offer pop based accounts

paulhicko 13:56 15 Jan 03

Thanks for all the ideas!

Don't think it's a problem with the settings. It's not a problem with any one particular message. Same message is coming up right across the board, whether it's me, wife, daughter or son sending. 'Message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was [email protected]..server response: 550 relaying to [email protected] prohibited by administrator...' There are no problems sending or receiving on any our lineone addresses using web mail so don't think it's a case of tiscali/lineone getting wise. Anybody know of pop-based account that is known to work with BT Broadband?

Terrahawk 14:13 15 Jan 03

try yahoo i think they do a pop service but the mailbox size isnt up to much

AL D. 15:02 15 Jan 03

Had similar problem so i set up second account with hotmail and can send and recieve,with hotmail in incredimail

roundhead123 17:18 16 Jan 03

I have a similar problem with BT Broadband, using Talk 21 email. Sometimes, not always, I get an error message saying:
"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Re: XXX Account: 'johns mail', Server: 'out.talk21.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to navalefrancaise.fr is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"
If I then shut down and restart in safe mode, do a scan disk and defragg, usually the mail will go as soon as I reconnect to the internet. I don't think the problem is with talk 21 because if I go to their web site, there is never any problem sending mail. The problem seems to lie with BT, and/or Norton AV.
Any help or advice with this would be greatfully appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…